This post is going to be short and sweet today just like this simple donut recipe =). I’m in love and hate with this recipe I made. Love because they are amazing, and hate because I could eat all of them. To me these taste just as good (or better) as any cake donut you could buy at your local bakery but you can make these at home in 15 minutes (some done in 15 the entire batch took about 19 to be more exact =). I made this recipe because sometimes I just can’t wait 3 hours for a fresh donut. These are purely amazing and deliciously tender, enjoy!
15 Minute Donuts, From Scratch
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups vegetable oil , for frying
- Granulated sugar , cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar, for coating
- Preheat oil over medium heat in a 10 inch non-stick fry-pan (keeping an eye on it as it is heating). In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk, buttermilk, sugar and melted butter. Using a fork stir in dry ingredients and mix just until combine (think of making biscuit dough, you just want to incorporate the ingredients).
- Once the oil has reached 350 degrees, measure out 1/2 tablespoonfuls dough and using your hands gently roll into a ball (gently rolling to keep them fluffy, think of rolling something really fragile. Again this is like a biscuit dough you don't want to overwork it). Gently place dough ball into oil and fry until golden brown on bottom then flip and cook reverse side until golden brown. Carefully remove with metal tongs or a fork and drain onto a paper towel lined plate. Roll in sugar. Repeat this process with remaining dough (you can fit about 8 donuts in the pan at once if you can work that fast =). Note: these are best enjoyed the day they are made.