Mmmm fresh salsa! I LOVE fresh salsa! I have been making it since I was probably 10 years old, so I have had some time to perfect this recipe. Just be sure if you don’t like hot foods to use peppers accordingly or omit them. This is also wonderful served with homemade chips if you have the time to make them. Enjoy this simple and delicious recipe!
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs), halved
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
- 2 green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced into 5 pieces, stem removed*
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (about a handful)
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (from 1 large lime)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: for a thinner salsa you can add in a bit of tomato juice
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and chop until all ingredients are finely chopped. Alternately, if you don't have a food processor finely chop veggies then pour into a mixing bowl, add canned tomatos, lime juice, chili powder, cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste and stir. Serve with tortilla chips. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- *Remove seeds for less heat or omit pepper if you don't like spicy foods