Candied Bread

12.07.2011

Why did I not think of this delicious easiest recipe before now?!  This bread is amazing!  How could something so simple, with only three ingredients be so spectacular?  Say goodbye to frying donuts and spending long hours preparing cinnamon rolls.  In my opinion this is better, and SO much easier and faster.  It can be made in under 5 minutes!  It’s sometimes the simplest things that seemed to be passed by, like this.  I’ve never heard of it before, but its so simple that someone has probably tried it before.  I’ve seen many things candied/caramelized before, nuts, fruit, etc but never bread.  I thought of several names for this bread and the top two came to caramelized bread and candied bread so call it what you’d like =).
These are so versatile, like a donut, roll or churro they can be fancied up or kept plain.  You could try it with different types of bread, like cinnamon swirl, wheat, banana or pumpkin.  A sprinkling of cinnamon or a pinch of sea salt can be added to the butter mixture.  They can be served as a dessert, for a snack, as breakfast or anytime you have a sugar craving.  One thing I love about this recipe is that nearly anyone in the world could make it with it’s 3 basic ingredients, simple cooking method and the amazingly low cost of it’s ingredients.  What the best thing since sliced bread?  This, candied sliced bread =).  Go on, try something new.  You will fall in love!

Yum!

Candied Bread

Yield: 6 slices

Candied Bread

Ingredients

• 5-6 slices white bread or french bread (slices should be about 1/2" thick)
  • 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
  • 6 Tbsp light-brown sugar

Directions

• Heat a non stick griddle or fry pan over medium heat. In a small bowl, using a fork, mix together butter and brown sugar until well combine. Spread about 1/2 Tbsp butter mixture evenly over each side of the bread (about 1 tbsp total per slice). Place coated bread on preheated non-stick pan and cook until bottom turns golden, about 1 - 2 minutes. Flip and cook reverse side until bottom turns golden. Repeat process with remaining slices of bread. Remove candied bread from heat (don't stack slices while hot or they will stick) and serve warm (they can also be cooled and stored in an airtight container, but I think they are best warm).

Notes

Alternate variations: -Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or sea salt to butter mixture. -Try different types of bread -Dip it in chocolate sauce, yum! -Also, if you live somewhere that doesn't have access to brown sugar, it can be made with white sugar as well.

• Lisa: No way. I think you’ve just come up with something brilliant. December 7, 2011 at 3:05pm Reply

• theCook: I used to make this with english muffins… I used to cut the muffin in half and candy only the inside, though… December 8, 2011 at 3:18am Reply

• Debs @ The Spanish Wok: Sounds heavenly to me. December 8, 2011 at 4:44am Reply

• Cooking Rookie: Brilliant recipe! So simple…. I have to try it this weekened for breakfast instead od a french toast. Thanks! December 8, 2011 at 10:29am Reply

• Yi May, Alexis: my nanny used to make this for me when I was young ^^ December 30, 2011 at 8:44pm Reply

• Tish C. Hill: I made this and it was soooo good – I used Brummel and Brown and added some cinnamon – it was delicious!!! Thank you for the brilliant idea! January 11, 2012 at 11:42pm Reply

• Athena: I used to do this with my grilled cheese sandwiches, but I used white sugar instead of brown…yummy! February 14, 2012 at 6:57am Reply

• Julie: I absolutely loved this!!! Don’t know if I should thank you for the recipe or not, self control will be hard to not make them to often. I pinned your recipe of cornbread pancakes to pinterest and it’s been re-pinned a ton of times, can’t wait to try it. February 17, 2012 at 12:34pm Reply

• Jill: Love it! My mom used to do this for us, but instead use white sugar and cinnamon. So yummy!
    Penny Lane Living February 19, 2012 at 1:09pm Reply

• metallachick: Sounds awesome. Can’t wait to try it! February 26, 2012 at 11:27am Reply

• Anonymous: My Mom would sometimes bake this. She called it cinnimon toast. May 3, 2012 at 1:25am Reply

• Röben: When I first saw the pic on pinterest I thought it is cheese. But now, after reading your words and looking at these photos I think this is even better than cheese (and I am a cheese-aholic!)… Looks fantastic, sounds fantastic and seems to be the easiest soulfood ever!

Thank you!
    Röben January 8, 2013 at 3:51am Reply

• Jaclyn: You’re welcome =), I hope you love it! Thanks for your comment! January 8, 2013 at 9:13pm Reply

• Rachael: My daughter and I are itching to try this. Perfect snack when you don’t feel up to breaking out the cake pans or cookie sheets. January 8, 2013 at 1:31pm Reply

• sherri: I’ve done something similar to this. I butter some bread, add brown sugar and broil. January 8, 2013 at 6:22pm Reply

• christina: I have been doing something similar for years, but instead of brown sugar try spreading just butter and cook till golden on both sides. take off the pan and drizzle condensed milk on top while still hot … the condensed milk just melts over it so perfectly ! just delish! (drizzle only one side of bread) January 9, 2013 at 1:34am Reply

• MARIE IGLESIAS: LOVE THIS RECEIPE :-) MY MOM MADE THIS FOR ME ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS LITTLE, SHE WOULD USE A CINNAMON-SUGAR MIX INSTEAD. <3 January 9, 2013 at 5:59am Reply

• Luisa: We don’t keep treats in the house because of weight problems. This is the greatest thing for unexpected company. Makes up quick, always have those ingredients in the house and its a sweet treat for the company with tea or coffee. Love it! January 9, 2013 at 9:03am Reply

• Yomo: I remember doing this when younger. We used to butter the bread and use white sugar. Instead of the frying pan we used the broiler. It was the quickest treat, (as long as you didn’t let it burn). I am going to try it with a sugar substitute, any suggestions anyone? January 27, 2013 at 11:03am Reply

• Shirley Steiniger: We make this all the time, we bake it and make half of it with splenda and cinnamon since my mom is diabetic. You can’t tell the differencwe between the ones with splenda and the ones with the regular brown sugar! They are a great treat! January 27, 2013 at 1:41pm Reply

• Anamae: My mother did something similar. She would spread soften butter on one side of the bread and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar. Then put it in a waffle iron to bake. Yummy. January 27, 2013 at 3:29pm Reply

• Barbara: My Dad once told me that they often had this for breakfast when he was a kid back in the 20’s and 30’s. They only used a little sugar (either what or brown) but butter and bread was plentyful and homemade. January 27, 2013 at 4:07pm Reply

• Sharon Carducci: Try and put some strawberry cream cheese on top. Yummmmm January 28, 2013 at 9:17am Reply

• Leta: we made this with cinnamon & white sugar, broiled on one side only. Once, when we were out of sugar, we sprinkled jell-o (powder) over the buttered bread & broiled up a great new treat! January 28, 2013 at 10:09am Reply

• Judy: We called this fried bread when I was growing up. Mother also skimmed the cream off the top of milk, spread the cream on the bread sprinkled with sugar & cinnamon and broiled. She served in a cereal bowl with milk over the top. So good.

Now I make it with bread spread with sweetened condensed milk, broil then serve plain or with milk. Wonderful. January 28, 2013 at 10:15pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I LOVE sweetened condensed milk, I could eat it by the spoonful so I’m going to have to try that. Thanks for your comment! January 30, 2013 at 1:30pm Reply

• Jo Ann: Saw this and had to try it – it’s wonderful, especially with homemade bread which we always have at our house!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. February 22, 2013 at 9:58am Reply

• Jaclyn: Jo Ann – so glad you thought so =), thanks for your comment! Sounds delicious with homemade bread! February 22, 2013 at 10:04pm Reply

• Lillian @ My Recipe Journey: YUM…. and maybe some candied bacon on the side! =) February 27, 2013 at 10:48am Reply

• Kathleen: This looks soo good! They actually have a store that sells candied-bread in Japan and I have been missing it so much so I was looking for a recipe! Thanks! :D April 11, 2013 at 9:02pm Reply

• paula: do u have to use brown sugar or can you use powdered sugar June 15, 2013 at 5:01pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’d recommend brown sugar because it gives that caramel-like flavor, if you don’t have that then you can substitute granulated sugar. June 16, 2013 at 10:27am Reply

• Gwendaline: Brings back memory, we used to do that when I was a kid back in France with a sugar called Cassonade or Vergoise since I am form the North. I haven t had that in over 30 years. I still remember burning my mouth as I was so impatient. Thanks June 26, 2013 at 6:32am Reply

• Maricel: In the Philippines, we call this Biscocho. Try sprading some butter and condensed milk on bread and then toast. It’s equally scrumptious July 23, 2013 at 8:44pm Reply

• Bev Roffeydavis: OMG! these were simple and wonderful! How ever I must warn those little babies are hot hot… hot… when you take them out of the pan.. the hot buttery/brown sugar coating.. dropped in between my fingers and i am now sporting blisters between three fingers! UGH! And yes I used a spatula..but I thought I could help it onto the plate with my finges..NOT! November 12, 2013 at 9:30pm Reply

• Joanne: I made these for breakfast for my boys. One thing. Don’t put them on a napkin when they are done. They stuck. I also used regular white bread. Next time I will use thick bread. They were good but way too thin. December 15, 2013 at 11:00am Reply

• Bonny Lee: You mentioned above about not having access to brown sugar. It’s so easy to make:
    In a food processor bowl, combine the following. Process until totally combined.

For Light Brown Sugar – 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 T molasses

For Dark Brown Sugar – 1 cup granulated sugar and 2 T. molasses

It’s so easy to make your own whenever you need it. Saves buying the bags at the store, that turn into bricks before they’re all used up – even when stored in containers. January 6, 2014 at 5:21pm Reply

• Spinnin’ Jenny: Thanks so much for the brown sugar recipe! Do you have any ideas for making it with Splenda? I’d like a less expensive version of the Splenda Brown Sugar Blend.

I have also loved bread spread with butter then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and toasted in a toaster oven!
      Jennifer in GA January 7, 2014 at 7:43am Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m not sure that it would caramelize with Splenda. I’m not too familiar with it but I don’t think it melts the same way sugar does. January 7, 2014 at 10:03am Reply

• Barb Fuqua: Put slice of bread in container with hard brown sugar for a day or so or put it in the microwave for a minute or so. January 6, 2014 at 8:28pm Reply

• Comet: The SPLENDA Blends are a mix of actual SUGAR with either brown or white and Splenda. So what caramelizes there IS the sugar. If It was me–and I am a T1 on a pump—I would use the splenda and a bit of sugar just to get the caramel effect—and you can also put the Splenda on after you cook it. Just watch your total carbs and you should be fine for a treat once in a while. January 7, 2014 at 1:25pm Reply

• Debbie Bergum: I am 55 years old and I grew up with mom making this every morning for me and my brother for breakfast before school. She called it sugar toast. This is my go to comfort food when i am needing something a little sweet. :) January 14, 2014 at 5:53pm Reply

• Judy: I’m 73 and grew up with a variation. We toasted bread in the toaster. Then spread soft butter on one side fast so it melted in and sprinkled on cinnamon sugar to cover and soak into the butter. Never got tired of it. Haven’t made it in years. I’m a T2 diabetic now and would sprinkle my Splenda and cinnamon (or really like apple pie spice) combo on. Must try yours though, it really sounds yummy! January 18, 2014 at 11:51am Reply

• Diane: I stopped buying bread sometime ago(diabetic & watching carbs), but before then I used to mix sugar & cinnamon & reduced fat margarine spread & keep in the fridge for using on hot toast. January 18, 2014 at 7:01pm Reply

• Sherri: My grandmother made this when I was a kid. She used white sugar & called it sugar toast. I think the brown sugar would make it awesome & can’t wait to try it. January 22, 2014 at 9:18am Reply

• krish: I thank you for this recipe.Simple but enjoyable.
    I tried it ,and we really appreciated. thanks again. January 22, 2014 at 8:52pm Reply

• Jaclyn: So glad you liked it Krish! January 22, 2014 at 9:00pm Reply