If you’ve been following I’m sure you know by now that I love a good slow cooker meal. Who doesn’t? Meals prepared in a slow cooker yield flavorful and tender results with such minimal effort. This soup is definitely proof of that.
If you don’t have a slow cooker you could also make this on the stove top. I’ve also prepared it on the stove top before and added grilled chicken to it. If you choose to prepare it on the stove top add cooked chicken and allow the soup an hour to simmer over low heat so all the flavors have some time to develop and meld together.
I love Mexican food. I could eat it everyday. It has such unique and exciting flavors. Addictive flavors if you ask me. I hope you enjoy another Slow Cooker Meal from Cooking Classy =).
- 20 oz boneless skinless, chicken breasts halves
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 small)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- diced fresh tomatoes
- shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar Cheese (Mexican blend works too)
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips, see recipe below for homemade baked tortilla strips
- fresh guacamole or diced avocados
- sour cream
- hot sauce (optional)
- In a slow cooker, whisk together chicken broth, canned tomatoes, diced yellow onion, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, coriander then season with salt and pepper to taste. Add raw chicken breasts, cover with lid and cook on low heat 7 - 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker along with lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro and gently stir (if you wanted another filler you can add in some frozen corn or rinsed black beans). Serve warm with diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, tortilla strips, guacamole, sour cream, optional hot sauce and additional cilantro if desired.
Baked Tortilla Strips
6 corn tortillas
olive oil cooking spray (vegetable works too)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat both sides of tortillas evenly with cooking spray. Align coated tortillas in an even stack, then cut in half down the middle, then dice halves into about 1/4″ strips. Arrange strips in a single layer (if they overlap a little that’s find just make sure they aren’t stacked on top of each other) on a Silpat lined baking sheet, season with salt to taste and bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes until golden. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
Recipes Source: Cooking Classy