Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Potatoes (A One Pot Hassle Free Meal)

There’s nothing like a fall apart tender roast that’s cooked low and slow along with some fresh veggies and a seasonings to highlight all of it’s delicious flavors. This meal is one of the easiest meals you’ll ever make. Yes there are countless ways to prepare a pot roast. You can be professional and brown the roast in some olive oil prior to slow cooking, as well as┬ásauteing┬ásome sliced onions and freshly minced garlic. To me though, a slow cook meal is a hassle free meal. One that you can toss in and go. A busy day one pot meal. So, I created this recipe to be just that, no browning or sauteing required. The hardest part of this meal is dicing the potatoes, yes that’s just how easy it is. Anyone can make this and everyone will utterly and completely enjoy it! Flavorful, unbelievably simple and amazingly delicious.
If you want you can throw it all in from the beginning (roast first then veggies on top), I just prefer that my veggies don’t turn to mush. That’s why I prepared it as listed but just do what works for you. Also, if you’d like you can also use red potatoes in place of the Russet potatoes. Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Potatoes (A One Pot Hassle Free Meal)

Yield: 4 servings

Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Potatoes (A One Pot Hassle Free Meal)

• 2 1/2 lbs chuck roast
  • 1 1/4 cups beef broth
  • 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 3/4 tsp dried Italian seasoning
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 4 medium Russet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed then diced into chunks about 3/4" - 1"
  • 12 oz. baby carrots

• Place chuck roast in a slow cooker. Pour beef broth over roast, and drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder then season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW heat 7 hours.
  • Remove roast to a large plate or cutting board, reserving broth in slow cooker (it should be fall apart tender so it will likely break apart when you lift it out). Add diced potatoes and baby carrots to slow cooker in broth (the broth should cover the veggies), return roast to slow cooker placing on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork. Plate and ladle with broth in slow cooker.

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious: Yay for not only an easy recipe but one that can be made in the slow cooker! I’ve actually never made pot roast before so I will most definitely try this recipe out first! September 11, 2012 at 8:25pm Reply

• Faith: This looks amazing! I have yet to try a pot roast. I like the short list of ingredients and easy preparation. Thank you so much, Jaclyn! September 12, 2012 at 7:12am Reply

• Shawn @ I Wash…You Dry: Yum! This sounds like an incredible dinner! September 12, 2012 at 7:39am Reply

• The Cooking Actress: I love pot roast in potatoes! Nothing like an easy and comforting meal! September 12, 2012 at 8:20am Reply

• Anonymous: When I do a crock pot roast, I put my carrots on the bottom, my roast on top, and a circle of potatoes (skins on, cut in half with cut part down on meat) around the edge. I then pour my broth/seasonings with onion all mixed together over the top. Once it’s cooked on low, I place on a platter and cover with foil. I make a delicious gravy made with the left over juices from the crockpot. Everything is cooked through, tastes great, and it’s a favorite with the family. I’ve enjoyed scanning your recipes and look forward to trying many of them. I was wondering if your mom’s chicken broccoli rice casserole was similar to one I’ve cooked in the past. :) September 16, 2012 at 8:46am Reply

• hey: When you add the potatoes do they cook well for the 8-10 hours? They don’t get mushy? February 28, 2015 at 1:21am Reply

• Jaclyn: That’s why I added them during the last 1 1/2 hours so they don’t get mushy. Some slow cookers may vary a bit and they may take a little longer so you could do the last 2 hours. March 19, 2015 at 9:53pm Reply

• Kelli: Hi! I was wondering,, should the beef broth totally cover the roast? June 22, 2015 at 10:48am Reply

• Jaclyn: No most likely it wont unless it was a small slow cooker which in the end wouldn’t be able to fit everything :). June 22, 2015 at 10:14pm

• Camille: I found you through Pinterest and thought I’d give this a try today, and YUMMY!!! My whole family loved it! So moist, so easy to put together, and oh yeah, slow cookers freaking rock my student-mom world. Thanks for the fantastic recipe! We will definitely be making it again! February 18, 2013 at 9:32pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Camille – you’re very welcome! I’m so glad you enjoyed this, thanks so much for returning to leave a comment! I seriously love slow cooker meals too =). February 19, 2013 at 10:00am Reply

• marni: Thank you for this recipe… I wondered about when I was supposed to put the potatoes in :) I will try it this way January 16, 2014 at 8:28am Reply

• Jaclyn: After the 7 hours, then you take the roast out and put them on the bottom and put the roast back over it and continue to heat as listed. Hope that makes sense. January 16, 2014 at 7:51pm Reply

• Tiffiny: Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I
    wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still
    new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips for inexperienced
    blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it. April 29, 2014 at 8:09am Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed my blog Tiffiny! As far as blogging goes, I’d just say do something you are passionate about and the rest will come :). If it happens to be food, I’d recommend if you don’t already own a dslr camera that you invest in one and also buy the book From Plate to Pixel from Helene Dujardin. It’s so helpful! Let me know if I can help with anything else and good luck! May 12, 2014 at 11:42am Reply

• Jocelyn: After I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me
    when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
    There has to be an easy method you can remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it! May 2, 2014 at 11:50am Reply

• Jaclyn: You’ll just have to unsubscribe from the e-mail (there should be a spot at the bottom I believe) because I don’t believe there is a way for me to do it. Sorry! May 12, 2014 at 11:50am Reply

• MIke: Hi Jaclyn,

I’m a Dad that’s figuring out how to do all this fun cooking stuff. Do you slice up the beef into strips and put it into the crock pot – or put it in whole? July 30, 2014 at 6:45pm Reply

• Jaclyn: For this recipe just put it in whole. Hope you love it! July 31, 2014 at 2:21pm Reply

• Doris: Because you used a lot of seasonings in this slow cooker recipe, I found the roast to be seasoned very nicely. Many slow cooker recipes add too little spices/seasonings and the results are too bland. July 31, 2014 at 3:35pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m glad you thought it was well seasoned Doris! Thanks for leaving a comment! August 21, 2014 at 12:12am Reply

• Sheri: If I decide not to put in the veggies, do I still need to leave the roast in for that extra 1 – 1 1/2 hours? September 25, 2014 at 3:59pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I would just so it’s really tender. September 25, 2014 at 8:18pm Reply

• Bailey: i’m making this tomorrow night, but first i have a question. a friend of mine says she puts her veggies (carrots and potatoes) in at the same time that she starts the roast itself, and that if she doesn’t, they don’t get tender enough. i want to try it your way, but do they come out soft, or with some crunch?? also, i’m adding mushrooms. should i put them in with the potatoes and carrots as it says in the recipe?? October 17, 2014 at 1:55pm Reply

• Jaclyn: They should come of soft, I just like to add them later on because if I add them in the beginning they turn into mush. And yes I’d add the mushrooms the same time as the other veggies. November 9, 2014 at 12:05pm Reply

• Bill: Thanks for the recipe, and the clear instructions. I made this a couple of days ago, and was really happy w/the results. Still eating leftovers, which, like all pot roasts, are even better the second day.

Next time, I’ll add onions, October 19, 2014 at 3:33pm Reply

• Courtney: Can I cook this on high in less time? If yes, how long? January 30, 2015 at 12:35pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I don’t recommend it with beef roast because it’s not as tender if cooked on high. January 30, 2015 at 4:11pm Reply

• Brandy: Does the roast need to be submerged in the broth? January 31, 2015 at 7:40pm Reply

• Jaclyn: No just be sure to cover with the lid so it retains moisture though. February 5, 2015 at 6:38pm Reply

• Ashley: If I start this before work in the morning and I wont get home until about 530. Will it be okay to add the veggies with the roast? Or will it not be good? I just don’t want it to be so late when we eat. July 26, 2015 at 8:14pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’ve added them in the beginning before but they don’t get pretty soft and mushy so just keep that in mind. July 27, 2015 at 10:40am Reply

• Angel shear: Mix a ranch packet with half cup a water stir it with pots and carrots then add to cooker in the last hour its delicious love this recipe thank you August 5, 2015 at 12:38pm Reply

• Amber: Hi!!! I have this in he crock pot and it smells delish! I read the last part wrong and cooked the veggies on low for an hour instead of changing it to high!!! How can I fix this without ruining the roast? Should I take it out and continue to cook the veggies alone or will it be okay sitting an extra hour on high? Thanks in advance! August 24, 2015 at 5:09pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Sorry I just noticed your comment so I’m sure you’ve already finished it but in the future (in the unlikely event it happened again :) I’d probably take it out just so it doesn’t dry. August 26, 2015 at 5:50pm Reply

• Amber: That’s exactly what I did! Figured better safe then sorry! It turned out perfect! Thank you again! August 27, 2015 at 11:19pm Reply

• Jo: Made this tonight and it turned out great! Easy prep, and the roast turned out moist and flavorful. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks! August 27, 2015 at 3:38pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m glad you liked it Jo! Thanks for your comment! August 27, 2015 at 7:18pm Reply

• Tiffany: I’m at the last hour mark of this recipe. It smells delicious! However, when I removed the roast to put the veggies in it wasn’t fall apart tender. I followed everything to a T and I’m not sure why it seemed so tough. Well, its back in the crock pot now on high with the veggies and a little more broth for another hour and a half. I’m hoping it turns out fine. This is my first time making a roast. Any tips for if it is tough? August 30, 2015 at 5:37pm Reply

• Ali Wawa: Hi Jaclyn,

Can i cook this recipe without slow cooker ?? due to i dont have!!!! September 2, 2015 at 9:55am Reply

• Jaclyn: You could do it in the oven I’m just not sure on the time and temps you’d want since I always do it in the slow cooker. September 9, 2015 at 4:38pm Reply

• LC: This recipe is not accurate. The potatoes and vegetables need to be put in the Crockpot at the same time as the meat. It took way to long to cook the veggies and I ended up putting it in the oven instead. It was tasty when done, but next time I will make the alterations. September 12, 2015 at 8:01pm Reply