Strawberry Greek Frozen Yogurt

05.23.2013

strawberry greek frozen yogurt (3 ingredients) | Cooking Classy

So my doctor says I can’t run anymore (because of that hip problem I have) and yes I’m completely bummed out, devastated, crying in my pillow everyday about it and throwing random tiny objects out my car window hoping it might nail that runner speeding down the sidewalk – haha I’m totally kidding. I’m just a little jealous :). I know it could be much worse and I’m still happy for all you runners out there. Most of you are probably thinking, seriously, you’re sad you can’t run anymore running is the worst. Really the hard part for me isn’t that I loved running its that I love sugar so now I can’t just run off all the junk that I eat (which was a bad idea anyway). I may just have to add some healthier desserts into my diet now since I still crave dessert everyday. The good thing though, at least my doctor didn’t tell me I can’t bake anymore, then I’d be really depressed. My world might just fall apart if I were told that :).

This strawberry greek frozen yogurt is simple, delicious, and much healthier than ice cream . With its three ingredients and minimal prep you’re going to want this all summer long, especially with its abundance of fresh strawberries. I might just eat it for breakfast :). It is also delicious to blend a scoop or two with milk (or almond milk) and make a smoothie. Enjoy!

strawberry frozen greek yogurt {3 ingredients} | Cooking Classy

Strawberry Greek Frozen Yogurt

Strawberry Greek Frozen Yogurt

Ingredients

• 1 lb fresh strawberries
  • 2 1/2 cups plain 2% Chobani Greek yogurt
  • 2/3 cup light agave nectar

Directions

• Puree strawberries in a food processor until well pureed and strawberries pieces no longer remain, scraping down sides once during processing. Force pureed strawberries through a fine mesh strainer into a large mixing bowl (if you don't mind seeds you can skip this step). Add plain Greek yogurt and agave nectar to strawberry puree and whisk mixture until well blended. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and freeze 30 - 40 minutes, stirring once during chilling, then transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process mixture according to manufactures directions. Enjoy soft or transfer to an airtight container and freeze until semi-firm (or firm and allow to thaw slightly at room temperature before enjoying).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks: I am soooo sorry to hear about your hip and that it’s this serious that you can’t run…like ever again? Or temporarily, i.e. a few months for it to heal more? I am a lifelong runner and run 5 to 8 miles every day, rain or shine. Like brushing my teeth. It’s just something I do and without it, don’t feel balanced! I would be going nuts! I have my fair share of injuries, too. Anyway girl so sorry for this news! May 24, 2013 at 1:21am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Averie! Yeah it’s like ever again, he says I may be able to run a mile or two each week but more running just means I’ll need a hip replacement sooner and it will probably be painful anyway. I was the same way I was running 4 – 8 miles every other day then on the other days I was doing Jillian Michaels dvds so it’s a total bummer for me not to be exercising anymore I love the feeling after exercising and it would basically wake me up for the day. I’m hoping I can do an exercise bike and an elliptical now so we’ll see it sounds boring but I’ll take it after doing nothing for 9 months :). May 24, 2013 at 9:14am Reply

• Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes): Wow Jaclyn, that looks so incredible!!! I love how smooth it looks and that gorgeous pink color is so pretty. May 24, 2013 at 3:42am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Jocelyn :)! May 24, 2013 at 9:08am Reply

• Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar: I was out from running for one month until yesterday…also a problem with my hip, so I can totally relate! I can still feel where the pain WAS but it’s not hurting so bad anymore. Is your injury an overuse problem? I still haven’t gotten mine checked out. I’m missing a marathon I trained for 12 weeks for this weekend!! :( May 24, 2013 at 4:18am Reply

• Jaclyn: Oh my goodness Katrina that’s terrible! The problem I have is FAI which is probably a combo of genetics and overuse. Basically I had a bone spur on my hip so the orthopedist had to go in and dislocate my hip and shave down the bone then cut out the cartilage that had been torn because of that spur. It started causing arthritis in the cartilage so that’s the big reason I’m not supposed to run anymore because it will hurt and it will also cause me to need a hip replacement earlier on. It’s a pretty new thing for drs so they are still trying to figure out the best way to treat it. I’m hoping medical scientists will find new ways to help the cartilage regrow or make artificial cartilage or something :). I would definitely recommend getting yours checked as soon as you can though, I think if I wouldn’t have waited so long for mine it wouldn’t have been as bad. Best of luck to you! Hopefully it’s only a minor thing!! May 24, 2013 at 9:08am Reply

• Michelle: Haha ok shoukd have edited it first, just so easy from my tablet :)
        *stumbled across ;) May 18, 2014 at 5:19pm Reply

• Kari@Loaves n Dishes: While I am one of those who HATES running, I do feel for you:(
    This yogurt is so cheery however; such a pretty pink color! May 24, 2013 at 8:28am Reply

• Charul @ Tadka Masala: I am in love with the texture and color of your yogurt! Gorgeous :) May 24, 2013 at 11:59am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Charul :)! May 25, 2013 at 9:22am Reply

• Amanda: My heart really goes out to you. My whole life i loved the out doors. I ran track when I and any race i could. Ten years ago i got into a wreck. My neck was broken and my back forever in pain. It broke my heart that i could not do everything i once did. My doctor bluntly told me that the person i once was dead. I had to stop pushing. This man ripped my heart out. I loved running. It was one way when something was bothering I could do and clear my head. The one time i could real use a good run. I couldnt. Couldnt hardly walk. Thanks to botox injections. I do have pain meds. I wish you the best. You are not alone. What does not kills us makes us stronger. May 24, 2013 at 1:07pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so sorry to hear about your injury Amanda! My heart goes out to you! I’m sorry you are still enduring through pain, that’s got to be hard. I’m so glad you survived the accident though! You are so kind to leave a supportive comment, it means a lot to me. Thank you so much! May 25, 2013 at 9:29am Reply

• Jocelyn: I’m so sorry to hear of your running woes. I had to give up running many years ago because of knee trouble. I’ve been riding a stationary bike and doing some walking videos ever since. They are a poor substitute for running, but they get my heart rate up. I hope you can find an acceptable alternative to your first love.

Now, about this healthy and refreshing looking recipe! Could I substitute maple syrup for the agave?

Thank you for all your terrific recipes. May you be blessed with some peace about your doctor’s prescription. May 24, 2013 at 1:48pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m sorry to hear about your kneed problem Jocelyn! I think I’m going to be doing something very similar to what you do for exercise :). Thanks for your nice comment! As far as the maple syrup goes I think that would be okay but it will add the maple flavor if you don’t mind. You could substitute 1 cup granulated sugar and just stir until it starts to dissolve if you’d like to try that. Thanks again Jocelyn! May 25, 2013 at 9:19am Reply

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking: Just 3 ingredients?! I love it! This is officially reason #24,659 that I need an ice cream maker… May 24, 2013 at 2:43pm Reply

• Ruta: Oh, I’m sorry! It stinks that you can’t run, but I suppose you’re right that it could have been worse.

Anyway, that frozen yogurt looks totally delicious! I’ve made it my goal to make more frozen things this summer and this is something I’m totally trying. May 25, 2013 at 4:34am Reply

• ATasteOfMadness: I am so sorry to hear about your hip!
    But this ice cream looks great! And greek yogurt? I’m sold May 25, 2013 at 10:29am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks, it’s not a huge deal just pretty sucky right now :). May 25, 2013 at 3:08pm Reply

• Sandy: What perfect timing for this recipe. I just received my Wolfgang Puck dessert maker yesterday and saw this post so it was the very first thing I made in the machine. My husband is not a big fan of ice cream so he was super excited to try this. It was so easy and truly yummy. I think I will eat it in a waffle bowl with a little chocolate sauce on top just to be naughty! Thanks again for another delicious recipe. May 25, 2013 at 4:45pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Sandy that’s so great to hear! I’m glad you liked it :). The chocolate sauce sounds delicious – I added a scoop to my daughters chocolate milk and it was amazing. Chocolate and strawberries just go together don’t they. Thanks so much for leaving a comment! Have a great weekend! May 25, 2013 at 8:34pm Reply

• Cassidy: I was also once a big cross-country runner who also got major hip surgery (six years ago at the ripe old age of 18) who was also told no running anymore, so I know entirely how you feel. I don’t know extensive your surgery was, or how long you’ll have to do PT, but I found that Bikram yoga and deep-tissue sports med-type massages really helped me, as did constant PT. I promise it gets better! I still can’t run–the ouch the next day is just entirely not worth it, but it’s opened up a whole new world of exercise options. I’ve found that I love to walk, and swim, and ride horses and all sorts of other things–seriously, it gets better! May 25, 2013 at 5:20pm Reply

• Cassidy: And, actually, reading the replies to your comments, I had almost the exact same surgery! May 25, 2013 at 5:22pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks so much Cassidy for your comment!! It’s so nice to hear there’s more out there than just running because it can feel like such a loss, and for you at 18 I thought 25 was young for hip problems. I just feel so restricted now because I was talking to the dr about trying out an exercise bike and doing an elliptical and I was asking if I could do them with resistance and he recommended none of that, also no street biking only mountain biking, no more lunges and the strength training I used to do. No uphill walking. Basically anything that’s going to involve my hip a lot or put it in a tight position is out – which feels like every exercise out there :). It’s so good to know you’ve found things you like!! That is crazy you had the same surgery, I’m sure it’s much more common than I think. I just had never even heard of it until I got it, I didn’t know such thing existed. And seriously it kills! Who knew such a small tear in cartilage could be so painful? And now that a portion of it is cut off it hurts even more – but hopefully the surgery will be worth it in the long run. I’m hoping once I start PT it will improve like you said (it would be nice to sleep again at night). I’m glad to hear that PT helped you! Again thanks so much for your comment Cassidy. You’re awesome :)! May 25, 2013 at 8:59pm Reply

• More please: What can I use to sweeten instead of the agave in this recipe? May 25, 2013 at 6:09pm Reply

• Jaclyn: 1 cup of granulated sugar would work great. I just chose agave for a healthier alternative but sugar would be delicious too :). May 25, 2013 at 8:27pm Reply

• Swati: Could I use honey? November 14, 2013 at 11:45pm Reply

• Jaclyn: That should be fine, it will obviously have a honey taste to it but it should work fine. November 15, 2013 at 7:32pm Reply

• dobie: What about deep water running? I deep water run everyday and love it. You wear a flotation belt and run in deep water just as you would on ground. I cannot have any impact so this is wonderful. May 25, 2013 at 8:09pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I never thought of that, I don’t think I’ve actually ever heard of it (is it something similar to what they’d do in physical therapy?) but I imagine I could do something like that. Now I just need to have a pool built :). But really I’m going to have look into that type of exercise, thanks so much for the info! What I’d give to run again. May 25, 2013 at 8:17pm Reply

• dobie: I go to the YWCA pool and run in 12 foot water but the hospitals here also have pools for running as do some gyms.Good luck, I think you would enjoy it as you get the same type benefits as running on land. May 25, 2013 at 8:34pm Reply

• Jaclyn: That is amazing, I’m going to have to try it as soon as I can find a place to do it :)! Thanks so much dobie! May 25, 2013 at 8:35pm Reply

• sally @ sallys baking addiction: Jaclyn, I’m so very sorry about your injury. I would be so heartbroken, but I know you will get through it and find other ways to channel your energy. Maybe a stationary bike? Sometimes I power walk on the treadmill and it really does get my heartrate up. Anyway, I’m thinking of you!

PS: I need this gorgeous fro-yo! It’s so easy :) May 26, 2013 at 4:39am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Sally! You’re so nice! Yeah I think I’ll start doing a stationary bike and see how that goes :). May 26, 2013 at 9:08am Reply

• Joyce: I don’t have an ice cream maker. Is there an alternative to make this? May 27, 2013 at 6:57pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes, you can simply place it in the freezer in an airtight container and stir it well every 20 – 30 minutes until frozen. May 27, 2013 at 7:39pm Reply

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious: I’m so sorry that you can’t run anymore! I try to run 3-4 miles here and there but I’ve been getting increasingly lazy as the weather is getting a bit warm here. You are definitely inspiring me to go out and suck it up though!

And dude, this frozen yogurt – amazing. I could seriously make a meal out of this. May 28, 2013 at 12:53am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Chung-Ah! May 29, 2013 at 10:12am Reply

• Alberta: Amazing recipe, I’ll try it as soon as possible :) May 28, 2013 at 2:10am Reply

• Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker: I honestly WISH I could run as much as you were running daily! I’ve had times in my life where I would try to run on a consistent basis, but I always dreaded it. Needless to say, I’m not exactly a runner at heart. :( So sorry about your injury, though, and what it means for your exercising future. I know exactly how you feel about needing to exercise so you can eat all the food you crave! But the final point of this whole comment… the frozen yogurt looks incredible, and so healthy too! Love it! May 28, 2013 at 12:12pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Alexandra :)! May 29, 2013 at 10:10am Reply

• Kristy @ Sweet Treats & More: And you run?? We are just way too much alike:) So sorry to hear you can’t run anymore?!

This ice cream looks AMAZING!!Beautiful pics as always! May 29, 2013 at 9:02pm Reply

• oldteacher: Hi Jaclyn! I just found your site and plan to try many of your recipes. Thanks for creating so many healthy and delicious ones! I was listening to a discussion just yesterday about knee vs. hip surgery. Several of the women have had either one or the other surgery and they all agreed that hip surgery was a piece of cake compared to other surgeries. So please don’t fret. I also had to give up exercise (lower extremities) because of cancer that later brought on lymphedema in my leg. Bye bye to all my various classes, weight-lifting & racquetball. So I do understand and know how truly hard it is. But after reading everything above I can tell you aren’t going to let this get you down. I’m going to keep an eye on you :) because in addition to your great recipes, I know you’re going to inspire people like me to eat healthy and keep moving to stay fit! Thank you, Jaclyn. I think you’re terrific! June 1, 2013 at 11:36pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so sorry to hear that!! Cancer is such a hard thing, I so hope you were able to overcome it! It effects us all in one way or another, my grandmother, cousin and mother-in-law have had it. You guys are all such strong people! I hope you’ve been able to find something you enjoy doing to make up for those things you no longer can do. Thanks for your comment oldteacher! I hope you’re doing well! June 4, 2013 at 10:52pm Reply

• Nicole: I am so sorry to hear you can’t run anymore! Unfortunately, I found out that I couldn’t run any longer 5 years ago and I was devastated. I tried a lot of different things and even though I hated it at first swimming is absolutely the best replacement for running. Eliptical was ok and biking is still good to get me outside, but swimming takes the cake. This frozen yogurt looks delicious and I hope you find a good replacement exercise that works well for you! June 2, 2013 at 8:54am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Nicole! I’m excited to get doing something here again, hopefully soon :). I’ll take anything right now even if it’s walking grandma pace down the sidewalk :). June 4, 2013 at 10:46pm Reply

• Kathy: This frozen yogurt looks delicious & so easy to make! Question… DH only eats Chobani Non-Fat Plain Yogurt. Will your recipe work with the non-fat yogurt? June 6, 2013 at 10:41am Reply

• Jaclyn: Yeah that should work fine. June 6, 2013 at 1:10pm Reply

• 6 new twists on classic summer treats: [...] three ingredients, that’s right just three, you can easily and affordably make your own fresh strawberry Greek frozen yogurt. Yummy! Get a head start this summer with this ice cream maker, only $32.33 at [...] June 6, 2013 at 10:54am Reply

• Wednesday: Strawberry Ice & Banana Bread | five x twenty: [...] these fruits into something more… fruitful, I suppose? Quick and easy, I found a recipe for strawberry Greek frozen yogurt, which looked absolutely delicious. I mean look at it! Pink and smooth and creamy and sweet. It is [...] June 12, 2013 at 8:41pm Reply

• Leuk met kids: I love this recipe! I placed it on my Dutched blog, of course with reference to your site: http://www.leukmetkids.nl/de-warmste-dag-ooit-tijd-voor-zelfgemaakte-ijsjes-dus/ June 19, 2013 at 2:07am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks for sharing! June 19, 2013 at 8:54am Reply

• robert: These.turned out excellent! I used raspberries and poored it into Popsicles. Not wanting to waste the raspberry goop in the strainer I poored in about a gallon of water, added some lemon slices and a sprig of mint and had some refreshing lemonade to go with the popsicles July 4, 2013 at 12:04am Reply

• Jaclyn: Sounds delicious with raspberries and as popsicles – and good idea to make the left over from straining into lemonade! Thanks for your comment Robert! July 6, 2013 at 10:49pm Reply

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen: Oh, girl…my heart is going out to you. I’m so sorry you are going thru this and can no longer run! I, too, experienced receiving bad news from a physician. Mine was a pre-diabetes diagnosis back in 2006. My baking and pastry arts world crashed and I was crushed. Just utterly devastated. It is the very reason you will often see paleo recipes on my blog and hence the “wicked good” name for my blog. Sometimes the recipes are as wicked as wicked gets (sugary) and other times they are wicked good, meaning they are so wicked good you’d never know they are actually good for you. Saw this GORGEOUS photograph of yours at Pinterest and just had to compliment you. Stunning photo, Jaclyn! So swirly and pretty in pink. LOVE IT and I’m going to make some tomorrow! Have everything on hand. Thanks so much for sharing! xo P.S. Are you a swimmer? Maybe doing laps is a way to get a good cardio workout without the harsh impact running has on our bodies? Just a thought to share. :) July 6, 2013 at 1:31pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Stacy and my heart goes out to you too! It’s hard at first but it gets better, at least I don’t have to just sit around anymore. I need to try swimming – it’s too bad I don’t have a pool in my backyard how dreamy would that be :). July 19, 2013 at 10:57pm Reply

• adele: i was just wondering if the tangyness from the greek yogurt is really strong and if you’ve substitute plain yogurt before? August 28, 2013 at 4:23am Reply

• Jaclyn: I didn’t think it was very stong, but regular yogurt would probably be great too! August 28, 2013 at 11:54am Reply

• Donna: Has anyone tried this with pineapple? February 8, 2014 at 5:42pm Reply