Cake Batter Milkshakes {3 Ingredient Recipe}

07.09.2013

cake batter milkshakes {3 ingredients}

Have you tried a cake batter milkshake or cake batter ice cream yet? When we were at the ice cream shop over the holiday my younger brother kept talking up this cake batter ice cream they had and told my I had to try it, so I did and I’m so glad I did because it was amazing! It tasted just like vanilla ice cream with a white cake mix blended in. I rarely get out the cake mix, I’m all about making things from scratch but these shakes wouldn’t be the same with a homemade cake mix. They’d just be missing that flavor we all love, the flavor that reminds us of those batter covered beaters we’d get to lick when we’d help Mom make a cake when we were kids.

For these I chose to do shakes instead of making a batch of ice cream for a few reasons, number one is simplicity. These can be made in like 30 seconds (to about 2 minutes max. Scoop, drop, pour, blend – easy as that). Second is that I’ve posted several ice cream recipes lately that require and ice maker and not everyone has an ice cream maker, and of course these don’t need one. Just a blender or some good, strong arm muscles going on.

The first time I made these I tried to do them the healthier route with Greek yogurt. While it was fairly good I couldn’t get my daughter to eat it (she said she just didn’t like them). Sometimes things are just meant to be a little more indulgent. The ice cream route is much better :). You could make these as rich as you’d like really, you can use less milk than listed and even replace some of the milk with cream, you can also add more cake batter too if you’d like. You really don’t need a recipe for something like this, this is more to share the idea if you haven’t tried it yet. However you make them though, hopefully you get around to making them soon because they are so easy and so delicious and your whole family will love them. Even your grandpa. So forget root beer floats next time you are looking for a refreshing, ice cold and quick dessert, make these instead! Enjoy!

cake batter milkshakes {3 ingredients}

Cake Batter Milkshakes {3 Ingredient Recipe}

Yield: 2 servings

Cake Batter Milkshakes {3 Ingredient Recipe}

Ingredients

• 2 cups vanilla ice cream
  • 1 cup milk*
  • 1/2 cup vanilla or funfetti dry cake mix (from a boxed cake mix, I used Betty Crocker white), or more or less to taste
  • Sprinkles (optional)

Directions

• Combine all ingredients in a blender except sprinkles. Blend until smooth. Fold in sprinkles if desired. Pour into cups and serve immediately, garnished with more sprinkles if desired.
  • *You can replace some of this with half and half or cream, just depending on how thick and rich you want it.
  • Note: I used light corn syrup to stick sprinkles to rim of cup - just a very thin layer. I poured the sprinkles in a container lid and rolled the corn syrup coated rim in sprinkles.

• alana: IS it safe to drink dry flour/food? raw? thanx July 9, 2013 at 11:11am Reply

• Jaclyn: Hi Alana! Yeah I believe it is. I’d say in most countries anyway (that raw flour would be fine). If you were to eat it all the time that might not be good for you. The cake mix I used didn’t have any dry egg in it if that’s a concern (which I think would be safe if it did anyway as they would be pasteurized then dried). I didn’t notice any warning label on the box to not eat it raw (like cookie dough from the grocery store has) so I’m going to go with safe :). July 10, 2013 at 9:56pm Reply

• Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar: This is so pretty! Sprinkles make everything fun. July 9, 2013 at 1:24pm Reply

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious: Love this! And it’s so easy too.

I’m totally going to blame you if I start having these every night :) July 9, 2013 at 4:33pm Reply

• Sarah: These were amazing! I used white cake mix and my mom and I swear they tasted just like cake batter, without the fear of salmonella! (though I still eat raw cake batter anyway :D ) July 9, 2013 at 6:56pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I always eat raw cake batter too – risky business but sooo good :). I’m so glad you liked these Sarah! Thanks for leaving a comment! July 10, 2013 at 9:45pm Reply

• Elisa @ Insalata di Sillabe: OMG…this sounds delicious! I’ve recently become obsessed with milkshakes and have tried quite many flavors so far but never this one! Will have to fix this lack of mine asap!

xo, Elisa July 9, 2013 at 10:58pm Reply

• Cookbook Queen: Absolutely gorgeous!! July 10, 2013 at 5:36am Reply

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking: All the sprinklessss. I can’t even handle this milkshake right now! So yummy and fun! July 10, 2013 at 9:05am Reply

• Mackenzie: I made a cake batter frozen yogurt that used Greek yogurt and vanilla yogurt. I added more cake mix than called for in the recipe, to add a punch, and the fro yo was to DIE FOR!!!! I love this simpler easier idea though! July 10, 2013 at 3:59pm Reply

• Julie @ Table for Two: This looks so amazing!! Can’t wait to try one…or two!!! July 10, 2013 at 5:45pm Reply

• Jennifer @ Mother Thyme: I have a weakness for cake batter treats. This looks sooo good! July 11, 2013 at 7:25am Reply

• Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste: These are so gorgeous! I love anything and everything involving cake batter. Pinning! July 11, 2013 at 11:39am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks for the pin Kelly! July 11, 2013 at 7:24pm Reply

• Jennifer: woah.. sounds like trouble :) … good tasty trouble! July 11, 2013 at 6:11pm Reply

• Jaclyn: It is indeed :). Thanks for visiting my blog Jennifer! July 11, 2013 at 7:39pm Reply

• Averie @ Averie Cooks: I have a choc cake batter milkshake I did about this time last year. It was a hot summer day the day I took the pics b/c the thing kept melting on me. Lol I love that yours has TWO kinds of sprinkles. Those little nonpareils/balls are such a pain – they get EVERYWHERE. Maybe you’re neater with them than I am though! July 11, 2013 at 11:33pm Reply

• Wendy: Beautiful photo of a fun and yummy dessert drink! Milk shakes are especially wonderful in the summer. With the cake mix and sprinkles, this pretty shake will be a hit at my house! July 13, 2013 at 8:55am Reply

• 21 Fun Recipes to Make with Sprinkles: [...]  Cake Batter Milkshakes ~ A delicious milkshake with Funfetti cake mix.  Don’t forget to decorate the glass with [...] July 15, 2013 at 12:00am Reply

• Sadaf: My husband and I made these and they were so yummy! Thanks for such an easy and great recipe! July 30, 2013 at 7:17pm Reply

• Jaclyn: You’re welcome Sadaf! I’m so glad you liked them, thanks for your comment! July 30, 2013 at 11:08pm Reply

• 18 Fun Things to Do Before Going Back to School: […]  Cake Batter Milkshakes ~ A delicious milkshake with Funfetti cake mix.  Don’t forget to decorate the glass with […] August 14, 2013 at 12:01am Reply

• Cake Batter Milkshake | Oh So Yummy: […] Cake Batter Milkshake […] August 20, 2013 at 11:42pm Reply

• Cake Batter Milkshakes for the Birthday Girl | Cook AZ I Do: […] found this recipe for Cake Batter Milkshakes a couple of months ago on Cooking Classy.  I cannot say enough good things about this blog.  Every recipe of hers that I have tried is […] August 30, 2013 at 9:25am Reply

• anita: your photo & idea made it to yahoo’s homepage (but i didn’t see you get credit?):

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/4-delicious-things-cake-mix-besides-sheet-cake-165000952.html September 4, 2013 at 1:33pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks for the info Anita, I’ve always dreamed of being featured on yahoo…wish they would have credited my photo at least but I’ll send an e-mail over to see if they’ll add it. Thanks :)! September 6, 2013 at 1:26pm Reply

• Carrie: Found your recipe via buzzfeed. My little sis loves cake batter desserts so I’m going to try these the next time she’s in town! November 11, 2013 at 11:23am Reply

• Cheryl: Here’s how I get around the concern of eating raw cake mix and/or cookie dough. I use pasturized egg whites. 3 tablespoons of the egg whites is equal to 1 whole egg. I’ve been doing this for about 8 years now. I did wanted our grandson to be able to enjoy the childhood fun of licking the bowl and beaters. So I started buying and using pasteurized egg whites. They are sold in cartons, in the milk and egg section. Do not use egg beaters. Only use and buy the ones that have nothing but egg whites in the ingredient label. No preservatives. No salt. Nothing. It’ll say, Ingredients: Egg Whites. I hope this idea will help to alleviate some of the concerns of eating raw dough. February 17, 2014 at 12:25am Reply