Let the holidays begin! Isn’t pie season the greatest? Except, come January and we realize we’ve gained 10 pounds during the holidays, thanks to pie season :). In moderation is what I always say. Have you decided what pie/pies to make for this Thanksgiving yet? Well let me help you out, make this! Coconut cream pie always seams to be a hit, especially when it tastes this amazing.
The thing I always used to dread about cream pies, is fearing that they were going to end up a soupy, runny mess so I’d sometimes try to steer away from them (even though I loved them). It took me a few years to realize I just needed to cook the custard a little longer so it had a chance to thicken properly. With this pie, I also tried adding in some cream cheese for added flavor (we’ll call it the secret ingredient) and I think it helped the structure of the pie a little as well. I wanted something to balance out the sweet and that light amount of tang from the cream cheese does just the trick, plus it gives it a faint, almost cheesecake like flavor.
I’m becoming ever more picky, so I ground up the coconut that’s mixed into the pies custard because I didn’t want the large, chewy shreds, something a little more unnoticeable and not so pronounced. I also believe a good coconut cream pie should have a fair amount of coconut flavor which is why I added not only the shredded coconut and coconut milk but also extract just to take it up another notch. I love coconut extract but if you don’t have it and don’t want to pay $4 – $6 for it that you can just increase the amount of vanilla.
I have the feeling you, and all those you serve this to, are going to love this pie! Enjoy!
- 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie crust
- 3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat, unsweetened, canned coconut milk (well shaken)
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 oz cream cheese, diced into pieces
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp coconut extract, to taste (or an additional 1/2 tsp vanilla)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, toasted
- Pulse 3/4 cup coconut in a food processor until ground into small pieces, about 1 minute, set aside. In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, 1/2 cup of the milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the salt. Set mixture over medium heat, and bring mixture nearly to a boil, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl (or liquid measuring cup used to measure milk), whisk together remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch until well blended. Then in a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks with remaining 3 Tbsp sugar until mixture is slightly pale, about 2 minutes. While whisking, pour 1/2 cup of the nearly boiling milk into egg yolk mixture. Then while whisking mixture in saucepan, pour egg yolk mixture followed by cornstarch mixture into saucepan. Cook mixture until thickened, whisking constantly and vigorously to prevent curdling, about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add in cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and coconut extract, stir until well blended. Stir in ground coconut. Pour mixture into baked pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 - 3 hours.
- For the topping:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on high speed, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add in 3 Tbsp sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Spread over chilled pie and top with toasted coconut. Cut into slices. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy