I woke up this morning to the relaxing sound of pouring rain outside my window. Though it can seem gloomy and dark out (not to mention the days are beginning to feel so much shorter) these rainy and cold days make for great soup days.
Also, I have some exciting news! I’ve been wanting to launch my own online kitchen shop for years and with the help of my dedicated husband and a few friends I finally have!!! I would love you guys to check it out (HERE)! A few of my favorites are the vanilla beans (duh!) and the herb savor (I’d gotten so tired of throwing out herbs so quickly and have finally found a solution). We searched for the highest quality vanilla beans and want to sell them at the best price. They are Grade A Gold Vanilla Beans (also certified organic and gluten-free) and trust me you’ll have a very hard time finding anything better! They are so plump and you will definitely be getting your moneys worth! There aren’t a lot of products yet, as it hopefully grows then I will continue to add more products all the time. I’d love your support so please check it out and see if there’s anything you’d like! No pressure though :). I value your readership so much and never want to push anything on you, I only want to share the products I like with you.
It’s so comforting to be able to come home after a long, cold day and wrap yourself up in your softest, cozy blanket and sink yourself into your plush couch and enjoy a large bowl of warm soup. And it’ doesn’t get much better than having dinner basically ready and waiting for you when you get home.
Who doesn’t love a good slow cooker dish? I’m hooked on them lately, this is the third soup I’ve posted that’s made in the slow cooker in just a few weeks. This soup is amazingly easy, it’s incredibly delicious and hearty and it’s perfectly cheesy. This is definitely a new slow cooker favorite for me. Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup butter, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups small diced broccoli florets*
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded (or more to taste)
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, freshly & finely shredded
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic, flour and season lightly with salt and pepper then cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. While whisking, slowly pour in evaporated milk (whisk well to smooth). Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken then pour into a slow cooker along with chicken broth, diced broccoli and thyme. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH heat for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or low heat for 6 hours.
- Turn heat to warm (or off) and stir in heavy cream, then add in shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
- *From about 20 oz broccoli crowns, large stems cut off and discarded (or reserved for another use), florets diced into small pieces.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy