Here is a snack that passes as healthy but tastes good enough that it could replace your dessert! So who wouldn’t love this recipe? Not to mention these Energy Bites are quick and easy – and they require no cooking or baking of course (as long as you buy pre-toasted coconut btw). I could easily finish off the whole batch myself. They are so addictive and they really do taste like a treat. They remind me of something like a granola bar and even peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough (can’t beat that!). They make for a great snack or they are great for an on the go breakfast for those rushed mornings. I love that they contain protein and fiber so they curb those afternoon munchies (you know around 4:00 when it’s like – is it dinner time yet?). I also love that they are a great snack for my kids that’s made with healthy ingredients that they really do love, I’m not begging them to eat them, rather they beg me to make these all the time! Try them soon, once you do you’ll want to live on these Energy Bites!
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (raw)
- 2/3 cup toasted, sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ground golden flaxseed meal (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 6 Tbsp chocolate chips (next time I'll use minis)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract. Add remaining ingredients and stir until evenly coated. Transfer mixture to refrigerator or freezer and chill until set (I actually cheated here and shaped mine before chilling with damp hands but I think chilling would make it easier to shape them).
- Remove from refrigerator and shape into 1-inch balls. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Recipe Source: adapted from Smashed Peas and Carrots
FOR THE CHOCOLATE ENERGY BITES CLICK LINK HERE.