Here is a snack that passes as healthy but tastes good enough that it could replace your dessert! So who wouldn’t love this recipe? Not to mention they are quick and easy – and they require no cooking or baking of course. I could easily finish off the whole batch myself. They are so addictive and yes they do taste like a treat. They remind me of something like a granola bar and even more so of a peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough. They make for a great snack or even grab a few on the go for a quick breakfast. These are loaded with protein and fiber so they curb those afternoon munchies (you know around 4:00 when it’s like – is it dinner time yet?). I might just have to make these plenty more often to replace that practically daily dose of ice cream I have :). Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (raw)
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted and cooled
- 1/2 cup ground golden flaxseed meal (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 6 Tbsp chocolate chips (next time I'll use minis)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract. Add remaining ingredients and stir until evenly coated. Transfer mixture to refrigerator or freezer and chill until set (I actually cheated here and shaped mine before chilling with damp hands but I think chilling would make it easier to shape them).
- Remove from refrigerator and shape into 1-inch balls. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Recipe Source: adapted from Gimme Some Oven and Smashed Peas and Carrots
FOR THE CHOCOLATE ENERGY BITES CLICK LINK HERE.