Since it’s my birthday this week I decided to make a breakfast that’s only fitting. Glazed funfetti muffins! They taste just like funfetti cake but in muffin form, and they’re for breakfast! Yeah my birthday is not for a few days but birthdays deserve a week of celebration right :)? I love muffins, they are like an excuse to have dessert for breakfast, right? Really I don’t believe in eating muffins every morning but for special occasions (or on the weekend) they are a must!
One of the birthday traditions we’ve started doing in our home is piling a stack of doughnuts on a plate then lighting some candles over them and waking our kids up while singing the happy birthday song with a plate full of gleaming donuts and holding a colorful variety of birthday balloons, yeah it’s like the best thing ever to wake up to :). It instantly puts a smile on their face. I started doing that since I’m not much of a morning person and usually don’t want to wake up super early to prepare an extravagant breakfast meal. But I wouldn’t mind waking up a little early to make these and swap out that doughnut tradition for a funfetti muffin one. These muffins are easy to make and they are one of those things that both adults and children alike can agree on. Who can resist anything when it comes in funfetti form? Save this recipe for the next birthday coming up on your calendar (and you might need to do a trial run this weekend right :).
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 6 Tbsp rainbow jimmie sprinkles, plus more for decorating
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp evaporated milk or half and half
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a seperate mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium speed, blend together sugar, butter and vegetable oil until creamy, about 30 seconds. Mix in eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla and almond extract. Using a rubber spatula, working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, fold and stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture until nearly combined followed by 1/2 of the milk, repeat process once more then end by folding in remaining 1/3 of the flour mixture just until nearly combined. Add in rainbow sprinkles and gently fold into mixture (you just don't want to over-work the batter).
- Divide batter among 12 paper-lined muffin cupcakes, filling each nearly full (about 1/3 cup in each). Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 - 18 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool. Dip in glaze while still slightly warm and allow excess glaze to run off, then turn upright and return to wire rack, sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles and allow glaze to set at room temperature. Store in an airtight container.
- For the glaze:
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together all glaze ingredients until well combined (If its too thick you can heat it in microwave about 10 seconds on high power).
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy