MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!!! I hope you’ve had such a wonderful holiday!
While I didn’t make this salad on Christmas I’m really wishing I had another serving of it now! Yes this may sound a little strange, I had my doubts as I was brainstorming the idea of this salad in my mind, but I’m telling you it is one of my new favorites! It has such exciting flavors that all blend so amazingly well together! We all know that cranberry and orange were made to go together but when you add in creamy avocados, salty feta cheese, crunchy toasted almonds and a slightly sweet poppy seed dressing incredible things just happen. Then of course I added grilled chicken because I wanted to make a meal out of this, plus I just love the flavor of any kind of orange chicken so I knew this salad needed it.
You can use another type of lettuce with this salad, pretty much any mellow type lettuce will do, I just love spinach for its’ color and nutrition. Another thing I may try adding to this sometime would be bacon. I actually love the way bacon and orange pair together, plus nearly any salad (or any food for that matter) is better with bacon, right?
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp dijon mustard (I like Emeril's)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 lb chicken, grilled
- 9 oz baby spinach
- 2 medium avocados, cored and diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Add olive oil, canola oil, orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, honey, dijon mustard and salt to a blender. Pulse until well emulsified. Pour into a jar and stir in poppy seeds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy