You can never have too many salad recipes, right? And of course we all need this classic, a really good Chicken Caesar Salad recipe. I’ll be honest here, chicken caesar salad has been one of those things that’s hard for me to want to make at home because I don’t want to have to deal with mashing up canned anchovies. I know such a wuss (raw meat doesn’t bother meat but canned anchovies can be hard). BUT I have overcome that. I hate the smell but hey, I eat canned tuna all the time so why not anchovies? A caesar salad dressing just isn’t the same without anchovies, I thought it could be done without them but it just can’t. So, don’t omit them! They are key to a good caesar salad.
This salad will likely become one of your go to dinners! It’s fairly easy to prepare, especially if you already have some cooked chicken on hand and the flavors are unbelievably delicious! Say goodbye to bottled caesar dressing because homemade is the only way to go. The dressing is a breeze to throw together and it just has so many robust flavors that blend perfectly together. And the lemon really just tones down the bold flavor of the anchovies so don’t worry about those. The best part about this dressing is that it’s light compared to all the high calorie versions out there but you won’t even miss all the fat. It’s still wonderfully creamy and you won’t have to feel guilty about a generous portion of it.
This is a must have recipe so be sure to try it out soon!
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 3 anchovy fillets (about 1 1/2 tsp once mashed)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp full fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 small cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic crusher
- 1/2 (16 oz) loaf French bread, 2 days old
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed through a garlic crusher
- 1/4 each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb chicken boneless skinless breasts, grilled and sliced (rotisserie chicken would work too)
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (about 2 oz)
- For the dressing:
- Remove larger bones from anchovy fillets. Place in a small mixing bowl and mash to a paste with the back of a spoon. Add in mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper salt and garlic and stir until well blended. Whisk in Greek yogurt. Chill in refrigerator while preparing remainder.
- For the croutons:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut bread into slices 3/4-inch thick then cut each slice into cubes. Spread bread cubes into an even layer on a baking sheet and bake 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Remove from oven and move bread cubes closer to center of pan (so they're more side by side), then slowly and evenly drizzle with half of the olive oil mixture and toss. Drizzle with remaining olive oil mixture and toss, then bake 5 - 6 minutes. Remove from oven and toss, then bake 5 - 6 minutes longer or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To assemble salad:
- In a large salad bowl toss together lettuce, chicken, croutons and half of the parmesan. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing and toss. Plate and sprinkle each portion with remaining parmesan. Serve immediately.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy