I’m loving skillet chicken recipes lately (if you have noticed, this is the third one I’m sharing in a row). They are quick, easy, and so versatile. Yes, this one requires a little more effort but the end result makes it so worth it! You get perfectly seared, golden brown chicken breasts that are covered in a rich and creamy, lightly herbed, perfectly garlicky, slightly cheesy mushroom sauce and the flavors will leave you craving more!
The recipe does seem like it has a lot of steps and ingredients but after you’v made it once it should go quickly the next time around. Now I just need to figure out how to get my husband and kids to love mushrooms like I do so I can add this one to my dinner rotation. This chicken is perfect for serving with pasta or rice and a side of steamed asparagus – asparagus pairs perfectly with this sauce.
- 2 (10 - 11 oz. each) chicken breasts, butterflied and halved
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 cups + 1 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp each dried thyme and oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Let chicken cutlets rest at room temperature 10 minutes (while gathering and prepping remaining ingredients).
- In a shallow dish whisk together flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Heat olive oil in 12-inch skillet over medium high heat. Dredge both sides each piece of chicken in flour mixture then place in hot oil in skillet. Cook until bottom is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Rotate and cook opposite side, reducing temperature just slightly if needed, until golden brown on bottom and chicken has cooked through (it should register 165 in center of each piece) about 4 - 6 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- While chicken is cooking, melt butter in a separate skillet over medium heat then add mushrooms and garlic and saute until mushrooms just begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Once chicken has been cooked and removed from skillet, leave skillet over medium-high heat and pour 1 1/4 cups of the chicken broth into skillet (the chicken skillet), while scraping up browned bites from the bottom. Add mushroom mixture to broth in skillet as well as thyme and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and let simmer until reduced by about 1/2, about 4 - 5 minutes. Whisk together remaining 1 Tbsp chicken broth with cornstarch. Pour into chicken broth mixture in skillet and allow to gently boil, while whisking constantly, 1 minute. Stir in parmesan and cream, season with pepper to taste and a little salt if needed, then return return chicken to skillet. Garnish with parsley and serve chicken warm, spoon sauce mixture over top.
- Recipe source: slightly adapted from The Midnight Baker