Well, the holidays were fun and worth every calorie but now back to real life. The life where we aren’t living on cheesy dips, cookies after every meal, dessert before dinner, chocolate around every turn and pie for days. This smoothie is a great start to a healthy diet for the new year! It’s the perfect way to pack in some fruits and veggies into your diet and it actually does taste delicious. This isn’t one of those healthy green smoothies that you just have to pinch your nose and choke down. This is one of my favorite green smoothies and I like that it’s not packed with calories. My daughter who normally hates spinach loves this Strawberry Spinach Smoothie so that’s proof they really are good! Healthy eating can be enjoyable.
Be sure to use well ripened bananas because they give the smoothie most of it’s natural sweetness, and use baby spinach instead of regular because it has a milder, sweeter flavor than the more mature spinach. If you haven’t given green smoothies a try this one, it is the perfect basic recipe to start with and it only requires a few ingredients. If you are making it just for yourself then you can definitely half the recipe and if you don’t have a heavy duty blender you may need to add more water and a little less ice. But if you are looking to invest in a good blender I’d highly recommend it, a good blender can make a big difference.
Cheers to a new year! I hope it’s a great year for all of you!
- 1 1/2 very ripe bananas, peeled, diced and frozen
- 6 oz fresh strawberries, hulled (about 8 - 9 medium)
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and halved
- 3 cups packed baby spinach (don't use regular, baby spinach has a milder and sweeter flavor)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup ice
- Add bananas, strawberries, oranges, spinach, water and half of the ice to a blender. Blend until combined then add remaining ice and blend until smoothie is well pureed. Serve immediately.