Who doesn’t love a quick and flashy dessert to turn to for those last minute guests you didn’t know were coming? I know when I have an unexpected guest the first question that comes to my mind is, what am I going to feed them? Whatever it is, it better be quick and delicious.
I’m very rarely ever one to purchase a store bought cake from the store. My exception is angel food cake. Why? Because it’s dry and if I make it at home it’s still going to be dry. Plus I don’t have to go out and buy a pan that only makes one type of dessert, that’s boring. Although, if I made it at home it may just be a day fresher. I didn’t used to like angel food cake in the slightest because the texture was just that, dry and spongy. It reminded me of cotton swabs. Somewhere along the way I realized a good angel food cake just needs a good amount of moisture and fats added to the top and then it’s fantastic. So, with this recipe I made it to have a generous amount of the Nutella drizzle (so you can continue to spoon more over your cake as your eating it) and a fair mound of Mascarpone Cream to dollop over the top. Again, to me a good Angel food cake is in the toppings and lots of them. I guess low fat just isn’t my thing. Wish it could be, but it just can’t =). The vibrant topping for this cake will quickly remind you of chocolate covered strawberries and strawberries with cream. How could it not be good, right? I hope you enjoy this simple, yet elegant dessert as much as I do! Simplicity at it’s finest. Enjoy!
Angel Food Cake with Nutella Drizzle, Fresh Strawberries & Mascarpone Cream
- 1 (15 oz) angel food cake, store bought or homemade
- 1 lb fresh strawberries , sliced
- 3/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread , such as Nutella
- 4 - 6 Tbsp milk , to thin as desired
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp corn syrup , optional (for added stabilization)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together Nutella and milk until well combined and smooth, set aside. In a separate small mixing bowl, fold together Mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar. In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on high speed, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form, then add in optional corn syrup and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the whipped cream mixture into Mascarpone cheese mixture, then add remaining whipped cream mixture and fold until combined. Whip mixture with blender to fluff if necessary (you could probably just whip all 4 ingredients together until stiff peaks form and get the same result - the above was just the method I used).
- To assemble: Slice angel food cake into individual servings. Drizzle each serving with Nutella drizzle. Top with sliced strawberries and Mascarpone Cream. Garnish with mint leaves if desired. Serve immediately.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy