Are you guys getting tired of all the grilled chicken salads I share yet? I know I’m not because I could live on them, especially this one! My husband and I couldn’t get over how delicious this salad is even though it’s a simple salad. The secret is in the sauce, or dressing in this case. Even though I made it to be light it is still unbelievably tasty. It has the perfect zip from the heat of the chipotle peppers, and it’s perfectly creamy from the Greek yogurt and light mayo. And you still have all those classic ranch herbs and spices, like parsley, dill, chives and onion powder. And let’s not forget about the lime, it brightens up the dressing and offers plenty of fresh flavor. Even my kids loved this despite the fact it has some heat. I myself was surprised, I thought they’d be asking for “leaves” without dressing but instead they were asking for more.
If you are lucky enough to have any dressing left over you can serve it the next day with chicken for dipping. That’s what we had for lunch and it turned a drab, boring piece of chicken into something amazing! This is going to be one of my go to dressing recipes from now on, love, love, loved it! And of course I’ll make this salad time and time again, it is the perfect summer salad with so much bright freshness and contrast. It may look so basically basic (thank you Jimmy Fallon) but it’s full of flavor!
Avocado and Grilled Chicken Chopped Salad with Skinny Chipotle-Lime Ranch
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , grilled and diced
- 10 oz grape tomatoes , halved
- 2 medium avocados (semi-firm but ripe), peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn
- 1 head Romaine lettuce , chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk , then more as needed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 - 2 chipotle chile peppers in adobo (these things are spicy!)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- For the salad:
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl and gently toss. Plate and serve with Chipotle-Lime Ranch.
- For the dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until chipotle peppers are well minced. Add in a few more tablespoons of buttermilk to thin as needed. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy