I love fajitas for dinner, so why not switch things up a little and make them breakfast style? These are like breakfast tacos meet fajitas and I absolutely love the delicious addition of sautéed peppers and onions in them. You just can’t go wrong with a soft flour tortilla loaded with cheesy scrambled eggs and ham and those aforementioned sauteed veggies, then finishing all of that goodness off with a fair amount of avocados. And let’s not forget about the final crowning of salsa, pico or hot sauce, because you’ve always got load up a fajita or taco right? Yes, I’d say this is breakfast done right. I had no problem finishing off my fair share of these, and I’ll definitely be back for more. Who knows why I’ve never made breakfast fajitas until now. These are definitely going to be something I make time and time again for breakfast, lunch or dinner! I loved everything about them! My kind of food right here, and I have the filling you might feel the same way.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small bell peppers (any color), cored and sliced into strips
- 1 small yellow onion , halved and sliced into strips
- 1 cup chopped ham (I used a ham steak)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 8 6- inch flour tortillas , warmed
- 2 medium avocados , chopped or sliced
- Salsa , lime wedges, fresh cilantro or hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs and milk until well blended and season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper, and saute, tossing occasionally, until tender crisp and slightly charred. Pour into a bowl, and set aside. Return skillet to heat, reduce burner to medium-low. Pour in remaining 1 Tbsp oil and swirl pan to evenly coat. Add eggs and cook, stirring and scraping bottom constantly with a turner, until eggs just begin to set, then push eggs to one side, add ham to opposite side and heat through then toss into eggs. Add cheese and cook until eggs have just set.
- To assemble fajitas, layer warm tortillas with egg mixture, top with bell pepper mixture then avocados, and desired toppings. Serve immediately.
- Recipe source: inspired by Food Network Magazine