Here you have one of the all-time best spring desserts! I don’t know if dessert can get much better than these over-the-top Cheesecake Lemon Bars! With these you don’t just get one or two layers of utter decadence but FOUR layers of heavenly, sublimely lemony, utterly creamy, melt-in your-mouth bliss! You will most definitely wow your family or guests with these delicious bars. How could you go wrong with buttery shortbread, a perfectly fresh and tart lemon bar filling, a rich and creamy cheesecake, and lusciously smooth sweetened sour cream all together in one bar? You just can’t!
Yes, it may seem these have an overdose of sugar but it’s not much more than that cake I just baked, plus keep this in mind it will be split between about 20 servings. But who am I kidding, with these bars I’m not counting anything – I’m indulging in all of their goodness because they are worth every calorie! Self control, gone. Good bye. Hello Cheesecake Lemon Bars!
I actually originally shared these bars a few years ago (originally shared 3/28/15) but I never did like the pictures. So, since Easter is just around the corner it’s given me the perfect excuse to remake them – so that I can remind you this is the dessert you should be making this Easter Sunday! Seriously, do it. You won’t regret it! I can’t get over how good these are every time I make them!
- 1 1/2 cups (213g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (68g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, cold and diced into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (4.6 oz) lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened well*
- 3/4 cup (165g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) sour cream
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 4 Tbsp (34g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, set aside.
- For the shortbread layer:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, powdered sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and spread and pat into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until set, about 15 - 18 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly while preparing fillings.
- For the lemon layer:
- In a mixing bowl whisk sugar and flour, then add in lemon zest, lemon juice and eggs whisk until well blended. Set aside (don't pour into crust yet, you don't want it to soak into the shortbread layer while you're preparing cheesecake filling).
- For the cheesecake layer:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, cream together cream cheese and granulated sugar until smooth, about 30 seconds. Mix in eggs one at at time adding in vanilla with second egg. Mix in 1/4 cup sour cream. Tap bowl against countertop about 10 times to release any large air bubbles.
- Pour lemon filling over crust, then evenly drizzle cheesecake filling by the spoonful over lemon layer (work to evenly distribute, layers will separate once baked). Skim off any air bubbles. Gently spread cheesecake filling into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until filling only jiggles slightly, about 29 - 33 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature 45 minutes then transfer to refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours.
- For the sour cream layer:
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together sour cream and powdered sugar. Spread into an even layer over chilled bars. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- *Cream cheese should be softened until it's nearly be melted. This way it's runnier and it will make the cheesecake filling easier to drizzle over the top of the lemon layer.
- Recipe source: adapted with some changes from allrecipes