Love love LOVE this soup! What you are basically getting here is creamy potato soup meets broccoli cheese soup and it is unbelievably delicious! Definitely one of my top three favorite soups and that’s saying something because I have sooo many soup recipes that I love. This has even taken over the place of my traditional broccoli cheese soup recipe and my potato soup recipe, new top contender!
Better yet my whole family couldn’t get enough of this soup! My kids seem to become pickier about food by the day but they had no problem quickly finishing this one off. I love that it is a blend of two of the best soups, so you get that creamy potato soup goodness plus and abundance of broccoli and cheese flavor. We also really liked how it’s heartier than a traditional broccoli cheese soup with more substance to it because of all the additional veggies. Definitely adding this one to the rotation!
Don’t miss out on this recipe because you are simply going to love it!
- 5 1/2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes, cut 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick (2 large)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets (from about 2 heads)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (preferably 1% or 2%)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp of the butter. Add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook 5 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk (whisk well until no lumps remain). Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, stir in heavy cream. Remove from heat and once all veggies are tender pour into the soup and stir. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy