Chicken Noodle Soup is one of my favorite things to make for dinner. I know that may seem boring but it’s just the most comforting soup and it’s a soup I’m always in the mood for which is why it’s always in our dinner rotation. I love that it’s quick and easy to make, especially when you use rotisserie chicken like I have here and skip making the broth from scratch. Of course you can substitute dry herbs for the fresh to save time, plus it’s a cheaper alternative. You can also use cooked chicken breast or thighs if you already have some on hand.
This is one of those dinners that everyone in your family can agree on and it’s always a wonderful dish to serve to guests because I can’t think of many people who don’t like it. And of course during the winter you can never have too much chicken noodle soup! Since this recipe is somewhat of a shortcut chicken noodle soup it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner, you can have it ready in about 30 minutes. Indeed my kind of dinner!
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp each chopped fresh thyme , rosemary and sage leaves (look for the poultry herb pkg. it should have all 3 or use 1/2 tsp of each dried)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley , divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups medium egg noodles (dry)
- 12 oz . shredded rotisserie chicken (from about a 2 lb rotisserie chicken)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onions and saute 4 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Stir in chicken broth, thyme, rosemary, sage and half of the parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste then bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium - low, cover pot and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in pasta, cover pot, boil over medium heat until noodles are cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes (or as directed on package). Stir in chicken, lemon juice and remaining parsley. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy, adapted from my Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup