What’s not to love here? Heart shaped, chewy, gooey, Chocolate Chips Blondies! They aren’t just for Valentines Day, these dreamy bars are perfect to make any day of the year. I opted to bake these in a jelly roll (10 by 15-inch) pan. It’s somewhat of an odd size which I didn’t always use to have until last year. I just bought mine on Amazon and I’m excited to use it to make all the types of cake rolls – pumpkin, lemon, red velvet, angel food, etc. Although I bought it for said use last August and still haven’t gotten to it. Soon though. In the meantime I’m sure I’ll just be enjoying a few batches of these blondies because they are so easy and so good!
I used this specific size pan for this recipe because I wanted to get a lot of cut outs with one batch, if you do it in a 13 by 9-inch baking pan you won’t get quite as many and the portions would be bigger since they’d be thicker but it should still work just fine. You’ll just need to increase the baking time. Also, if you aren’t doing the cut out shapes, cutting into squares is of course totally fine. And you don’t need to line the baking sheet with parchment, instead just butter the baking dish. I actually started out my day making heart shaped shortbread followed by cut out chocolate chip cookies (something like chocolate chip sugar cookies). The first batch spread too much and lost their cute shape and the second batch may have kept that nice shape they tasted too floury (boo!). So finally I ended with these, cutting into heart shapes after baking. They tasted just like I wanted and I got the heart shapes I was hoping for.
Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 2 1/8 cups (300g) all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 cups (338g) packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (210g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10 by 15-inch jelly roll pan (this is NOT a traditional cookie sheet size, it's smaller. If needed you can bake these in a 13 by 9-inch pan but the baking time will need to be increased). Line pan with 2 sheets of parchment, one sheet going in each direction, while leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Butter parchment paper, set pan aside. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix together butter, and brown sugar until blended. Add in one egg and mix, then add second egg and vanilla and mix. With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour mixture and mix just until combined. Set aside 2 Tbsp of the chocolate chips then mix in the remaining (1 cup + 2 Tbsp) remove bowl and fold batter with a spatula until everything is evenly incorporated. Pour dough onto prepared jelly roll pan and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the 2 Tbsp chocolate chips evenly over top. Bake in preheated oven until cooked through, about 17 - 21 minutes (they should appear slightly under-baked but a toothpick should come out clean or with a few crumbs). Remove from oven (I even gently pressed in a few more chocolate chips at this point, just for looks) and let cool completely on a wire rack, then lift bars out using parchment paper and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
- *This is 2 cups + 2 Tbsp
- **White chocolate chips can be substituted but add them all at once rather then reserving some for the tops as white chocolate chips may brown if added to the top.
- Recipe source: inspired by Tutti Dolce