Could there be a better way to enjoy summer than with this delicious tropical Cilantro-Lime Salmon with Coconut Rice? I recently shared a salmon recipe with coconut rice and I fell absolutely in love with it so I decided to make something else along those lines and keep a great thing going. Believe it or not with THIS recipe I was able to get my husband and my daughter who don’t like shrimp to eat it and love it! It has such a bright, fresh lime flavor and the cilantro and garlic add just that much more deliciousness. And this coconut rice, don’t get me started! I’ve been obsessed for the last few weeks since I first tried it (seriously though, where has it been all my life?) and I got my mom hooked too, she’s been eating it probably 5 times a week since she’s on a low gluten diet. It’s just so much more exciting than plain white rice and it’s so delicious plain on it’s own. It has such a rich flavor, a slightly creamy texture (but don’t worry it’s not mushy) and the coconut undertones will leave you craving more (note that if you want a stronger coconut flavor just stir in some shredded coconut when you fluff the rice after it has cooked).
If you, like I have been, are trying to get someone else in your family to enjoy shrimp then this may likely be the recipe to do just that! And better yet this is a quick and easy dish to prepare – all around dinner win! Plus it can be made into a fun family dinner if you serve it up island style with pineapple and some kind of tropical punch, then decorate the table with bright, tropical colored flowers. Enjoy summer while it lasts!
Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Coconut Rice
- 1 1/4 lbs large shrimp (I used 26/30), deveined and peeled
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced then chopped green onions
- 3 cloves garlic , minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- Coconut Rice , recipe here (1 full recipe)
- Prepare rice about 25 minutes before preparing shrimp as it takes 20 minutes to cook and 5 minutes resting time until it's ready.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions and garlic and saute until garlic is light golden, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp, sprinkle cumin evenly over top, season with salt and pepper to taste and saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, toss with lime juice, cilantro and lime zest. Serve warm over coconut rice.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy