Cinnamon rolls meet sugar cookies meets a quicker method and what do you get? These amazing Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookie Bars. Sugar cookie bars were one of the first recipes I posted and back then I had all these ideas for different sugar cookie bars that I wanted to make. Time went by I sort of forgot about that cinnamon swirl version I wanted to create then suddenly one day I remembered again. Yeah that’s how I work I guess.
If you like cinnamon rolls and if you like sugar cookies then put these on your must try list. No, scratch that. Don’t just put them on the top of some list to make them soon. Go make them, right now. Even if it’s 6:00 am :). Okay, really you probably shouldn’t make them for breakfast because you’ll want to just sit down with the entire pan full in front of you with a fork and knife, a napkin wrapped around your shoulders, with a tall glass of milk standing near by – you know start your day out right :). Really these are intended to be more of a dessert but they are completely breakfast inspired. Could we ever get enough of those warm from the oven, cream cheese frosting covered, stick, fluffy and soft cinnamon rolls? I know I can’t so that is why I find a way to make them into something other than just what they are intended to be.
The dough for these is fairly sticky. The first time I made them the dough was more dry and easier to work with, but of course what did that result in? A drier sugar cookie bar. The second time around I added in more moisture and a little less flour – which of course made a sticker dough but a softer cookie with more moisture and a hint of chew. So, just slather your hands generously in butter (consider it your spa experience for the day) and it should be much easier to work with despite it’s sticky texture. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookie Bars
- 2 1/4 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 Tbsp powdered milk
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter , softenend
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz cream cheese , softened
- 6 Tbsp salted butter , softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and powdered milk for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl occasionally. Add in eggs one at time mixing until combined after each addition. Blend in sour cream and vanilla. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Butter and 13 by 9-inch baking dish, then with buttered hands gently press and spread cookie dough into an even layer in dish. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 17 - 21 minutes. Allow to cool completely then frost with cream cheese frosting. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy, occasionally scraping down sides and bottom of bowl. Stir in vanilla. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in powdered sugar and continue to mix until fluffy.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy