Isn’t a thick frosted sugar cookie one of the best comfort foods out there? I love sugar cookies and I love sugar cookie squares even more because they are quicker and easier to make (with less clean up) but they taste just as good as the individual cookie. I know I post a lot of sugar cookie recipes, it’s just one of my favorites so it’s likely you’ll see even more variations on it in the future.
Have I told you yet this Coconut Buttercream Frosting is my all time favorite frosting? I made it to frost the coconut cupcakes I made a few days ago and it got me thinking of what else I would love to use it for. It is highly addictive stuff! I could sit and eat it by the heaping spoonfuls.
Now, imagine a fluffy, sweet, coconut infused sugar cookie covered with silky smooth, fluffy, melt in your mouth coconut frosting – and this is what you get. Let’s just say it’s very likely to be one of the best sugar cookies you will ever eat! I know I’m in love =). Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 recipe Coconut Buttercream Frosting, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut, for garnish (optional)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk
- 3/4 tsp coconut extract or imitation coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Process 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut in a food processor until finely ground (this took a few minutes in my mini food processor). In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in ground coconut, set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir in egg, egg white and vanilla. Add in coconut milk and sour cream and mix until blended. Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combine. With buttered hands, gently press dough into an even layer in a buttered 13x9 baking dish. Bake 18 - 20 minutes until edges are lightly golden. Allow to cool completely then frost with Coconut Buttercream Frosting and sprinkle with additional optional shredded sweetened coconut. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer whip together until smooth and fluffy.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy