I’m so excited about these pancakes! We eat breakfast a LOT in my home, mostly for dinner =) so I love when I can make a new delicious recipe to add to the rotation. These pancakes are so easy to make, just be sure to plan a bit ahead of time since the cornmeal has to soak overnight. I decided to do this because it softens up the cornmeal a bit so it’s not so gritty, so you don’t feel like your eating sand pancakes. I’ve tried cornmeal pancake recipes in the past that don’t soak the cornmeal and the pancakes were grainy. So, I guess if you don’t mind gritty pancakes you don’t have to soak the cornmeal but I think it’s much better soaked. When I created this recipe I wanted to mimic all my favorite flavors of cornbread, honey butter and all. I had some amazing cornbread last week so it got me thinking how I could make it in pancake form. I love these pancakes with the honey butter syrup but they are also amazing with blueberry, vanilla cream or maple syrup.
I hope you try these pancakes so you can add them to your breakfast rotation too! It’s nice to change things up a bit and you will be delighted with these. They are moist, flavorful, fluffy and oh so delicious! Note, these pancakes are fairly thin because that’s they way I love pancakes, but if you’re a thick pancake lover I would just omit several tablespoons of the buttermilk.
If you like cornbread these may just be your new favorite pancakes. I’ve already made these twice in 3 days. I think they are fancy restaurant worthy =). Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- (easy recipe to memorize eh? =)
- In a bowl, whisk together cornmeal and buttermilk, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle to medium heat (I heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees). In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. Remove cornmeal mixture from refrigerator and stir in sugar, eggs, vegetable oil and applesauce. Gently whisk in dry mixture and stir just until combine, batter should be slightly lumpy. Butter griddle (note: if you have a really good non-stick griddle, that's really non-stick, I would recommend NOT buttering it then the pancakes don't spread as much) and pour 1/4 cup mixture onto griddle at a time. Flip pancake when bubbles start to appear on surface and bottom is golden. Cook opposite side until golden. Serve warm with honey butter syrup, blueberry syrup, vanilla cream syrup or maple syrup.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat , stir powdered sugar and honey and whisk until combine. Mix in buttermilk. Bring mixture just to a boil stirring constantly, then remove from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp baking soda. Stir mixture until frothy about 10 seconds. Serve warm.
- Store syrup in refrigerator in an airtight container up to one week, reheat in the microwave until warm.