While I do enjoy winter, I’m totally happy to be moving along into spring and summer. I love all the spring blossoms everywhere (the smell of the lilacs is making me want to live outside lately) and I just can’t get enough of those warm sunny rays. Oh and the baby ducks at the park (er, proper word ducklings but since when was I proper?) Another thing I really love about spring and summer is the abundance of delicious, fresh, cheap produce that comes with it (you know i’ll be buying up blueberries and raspberries by the dozen when they go on sale.) Lately, grapes have finally been a decent price so I bought a bunch of them and used them to make this fruit salad that I absolutely love. I first had a version of this Creamy Grape Fruit Salad many years ago at a party and fell in love at first bite. I mean how could I not? Anything with cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese and I’m sold!
The classic version of this salad calls for cream cheese and sour cream but to make it a little lighter I like to use Neufchatel cheese and light sour cream. I also like to decrease the amount of sugar added (some similar recipes call for 4 times the sugar) but I like the sweetness to come from the fruit, no need to have them swimming in sugar for a fruit salad. Let’s save that for cake :). I also swapped out some of the sugar for honey. And usually it’s listed to use equal parts red and green grapes but I definitely like red better so I use 2/3 to 1/3 (and be sure not to use sour green grapes – I hate when I get a batch of those). And of course I like to add a fair amount of nuts because I love the crunch and flavor they add to this fruit salad.
As usual I used my favorite brand of nuts here – I used Fisher Pecans for this recipe. Fisher is a brand I’ve long trusted and I love knowing they are preservative free! They are one of my go-to snacks and recipe ingredients and this salad just wouldn’t be the same without them. Make it for yourself and you’ll see what I mean. All those juicy grapes and that creamy rich topping needs a little contrasting crunch to balance it out. It is such a simple salad to make but the end results are oh so tasty! Add it to your menu this weekend, and definitely save the recipe for upcoming get togethers and holidays. I’m thinking this is just the thing you need to add to your Mothers Day lunch or picnic. Us moms love stuff like this :)!
- 2 lbs seedless red grapes, washed and dried well
- 1 lb seedless green grapes, washed and dried well
- 6 oz. Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less cream cheese)
- 2/3 cup light sour cream
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer whip Neufchatel cheese until smooth and fluffy, while occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Add in sour cream, honey, granulated sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Place red and green grapes in a salad bowl. Pour in sour cream mixture and about 3/4 of the pecans. Toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle top of fruit salad with brown sugar then sprinkle with remaining pecans. Keep chilled, serve within a couple of hours.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fisher nuts. The opinions and text are all mine.