Less than 10 days until Christmas! Are you ready for it? If you said yes you’re wrong, you haven’t made these cupcakes yet so once you do…then your ready for Christmas :). These cupcakes are so festive and they are packed with that irresistible gingerbread flavor! Plus, when you pair the flavor of gingerbread with a decadent cream cheese frosting you know good things are bound to happen. Cream cheese frosting would be good on anything – I mean if I could pipe a huge pile of it over my bowl of oatmeal in the morning without gaining pound after pound I would.
For the gingerbread on these cupcakes I used these mini molds. They are so fun! I also used a Wilton #1 round tip for piping – since it’s the tiniest I could find. Then the recipe I used is my Gingerbread Cookie recipe which also includes an icing recipe to go with it (keep in mind though since they are so tiny they will be more of a crisp cookie and not so soft and chewy). I only made a half batch but I still got tons of baby gingies. My kids couldn’t get over them! Who am I kidding? I couldn’t get over them either! I love everything tiny so I think baby gingerbread men will be a new Christmas tradition around here. And of course if I’m going to be making them again they need these decadent cupcakes to go with them! So much fun and deliciousness together in one cute cupcake!
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 2/3 cups (234g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (116g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) unsulphured molasses
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- Mini gingerbread men for decoration (optional)
- 8 oz (225g) cream cheese, nearly at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, nearly at room temperature
- 3 cups (370g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip brown sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Mix in vegetable oil then blend in eggs one at a time. Mix in molasses. Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture then mix just until combined then mix in 1/2 of the milk and mix just until combined, then repeat process once more. Finish by mixing in remaining 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl and fold batter.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and lightly spray liners and top of pan with non-stick cooking spray. Divide mixture among 12 paper lined muffin cups filling each 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, about 19 - 22 minutes. Cool in pan several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool (after about 10 minutes I recommend letting them continue to cool in an airtight container so they don't dry). Once cool frost with cream cheese frosting. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator then let rest at room temp a bit before serving.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy. If frosting is slightly runny simply freeze in 3 minute increments, whipping again with mixer between increments until desired consistency is reached.
- Recipe source: inpsired by King Arthur Flour
This post contains affiliate links.