This should be called “The Sandwich of Summer.” I made this recipe because I love pulled pork so much so I wanted something similar but entirely its own. Basically I wanted something delicious, out of the ordinary that will make people say “wow.” Of course I made it a slow cooker recipe because that’s what I love and that’s what everyone else seems to love. This Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich is bursting with the flavors of the islands (especially when served along with fresh, glazed/grilled pineapple). It inspires me to want to host a luau party in my backyard.
Don’t be scared by the long list of ingredients, most of them, if not all of them, you probably already have in your fridge and cupboard. If you are looking to try a new dish that is enticingly delicious and fully amazing your going to want to try this sandwich! Share and enjoy!
Serve it with or without green onions (I liked it with):
Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice (apple juice could be substituted)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 1/2 tsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 fresh pineapple rings (cut about 1/2" thick)
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar , divided
- 1 Tbsp butter , divided
- Place chicken in a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker. In a mixing bowl, whisk together ketchup, pineapple juice, low sodium soy sauce, honey, molasses, liquid smoke, coconut extract, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. Pour sauce over chicken in slow cooker, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and set aside. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cold water and cornstarch, pour in sauce from slow cooker and add tomato paste. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until thickened. Return chicken to slow cooker (or the mixing bowl) and pour sauce over chicken, toss to evenly coat. Serve warm on hamburger buns, along with optional glazed or grilled pineapple and optional diced green onions (grilled red onions would be good too).
- I served with glazed pineapple and this is how I did it:
- Working in 2 separate batches, melt 1 Tbsp butter in a 10 inch non-stick skillet. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp brown sugar among one side of 3 pineapple rings (about 1 tsp per each), add pineapple to skillet (brown sugar side down) and saute over medium high heat until golden on bottom about 3 minutes. Sprinkle another 1 Tbsp over the tops of pineapple rings in pan (again 1 tsp per each), then flip and cook opposite side until lightly browned about 3 minutes. Repeat this process with remaining 3 pineapple rings.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy