A healthier treat? Sign me up! These Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins are so good people won’t even notice they’re healthier, my kids had no idea! Instead of being made with plain white flour they are made with healthier white whole wheat flour, then instead of being made with granulated sugar they are made with honey and about half the amount in comparison to the typical amount of sugar that’s normally added. Then another healthier swap is the coconut oil in place of the butter. I’m not normally someone that’s into healthier baked goods but when they’re this good then I’m all in!
I’m always looking for new uses for overripe bananas because we usually always have some around. And since I already make enough unhealthy sweets it’s nice to have something that’s a healthier for a change. Plus, I love to eat muffins for breakfast but I rarely do because they’re basically dessert for breakfast, but not these! These I don’t have to feel guilty about eating for breakfast with an egg, some fresh blueberries and a glass of milk. They’re made with good for you ingredients and a little bit of honey in each muffin to sweeten them up just enough. Just be sure to use really ripe bananas because the bananas will offer the muffins a lot of their sweetness. And also be sure to try one while they’re warm, they’re so good warm from the oven!
Healthier Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins
- 2 cups (283g) white whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting*
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (114g) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (175g) honey
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (380g) well mashed overripe bananas
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray the holes of 16 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray and dust lightly with wheat flour. Shake out excess flour, set aside. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together white whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds. Set aside.
- Add coconut oil to a large microwave save mixing bowl. Heat in microwave until it's just melted. Stir in honey then whisk in eggs. Whisk in bananas and buttermilk. Add wheat flour mixture and whisk just until combined (batter will be lumpy). Divide batter among prepared muffin cups filling each about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean or with a few crumbs, about 16 - 20 minutes. Run a butter knife around muffins to loosen. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store muffins in an airtight container.
- *Whisk flour in container before measuring, then scoop using a measuring cup and level top using a butter knife.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy