Hot fudge cake! Seriously?! Just wow! Another great name for this cake is Chocolate Cobbler, so go with whichever you choose, either way you’re going to be head-over-heels in love with this decadent, molten chocolatey cake. I’m just wondering where it’s been all my life espeically since this is one of those recipes that’s been around since the 1960’s. New go-to summer dessert for me right here! I do have quite the list of those but I know I’ll have to make this at least once or twice each summer. It’s basically one big pan of molten lava cake then it’s made even better when you top it with fresh strawberries and bananas, sweet vanilla ice cream (or chocolate if you are a chocoholic), and then top it with crunchy toasted walnuts (or pecans), and garnish with mint if you want that extra pop of color. It’s the cake of my dreams! It’s messy but in the best way (don’t plan on any perfect looking slices, just mounds of goodness).
There are two main recipes for this cake online, there’s a version that uses vegetable oil and more water and another that uses butter and less water. I went with the butter option because 1. butter is better and 2. I like that it used less water which would mean a thicker sauce. The only thing I thought the recipe needed was more salt, which I’ve added to the recipe below. Other than that it’s golden! And how I can’t wait to make it again! Just look at all that molten, fudgy chocolate goodness…
Hot Fudge Cake (AKA Chocolate Cobbler)
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (142g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (74g) unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces and melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (355ml) very hot water
- Sliced strawberries and bananas
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 9-inch (or 11 by 7-inch) baking dish, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt for 20 seconds. Pour in milk, melted butter and vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until well blended. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together remaining 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Pour mixture over batter and spread into an even layer. Carefully pour hot water evenly over top, do not stir.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 - 40 minutes until center is nearly set (it should still wiggle slightly). Remove from oven and let stand for 10 - 15 minutes before serving. Serve in bowls topped with strawberries, bananas, ice cream and pecans if desired. Garnish with mint. Serve immediately.
- Recipe source: adapted from Hershey's