Someone please take this popcorn from me, I can’t resist it =)! How I love specialty popcorn. This is definitely one of my new favorites. It taste like lemon cream pie, in sweet, crunchy, popcorn form. Basically, it’s literally irresistible.
The method of preparing this popcorn recipe may seem a bit odd. That is due to the way the oils and acidity of the lemon juice and zest react with the white candy melts. I made four different batches, knowing ahead of time what I was getting into. I thought the lemon juice probably would cause the white candy melts to seize up after melting and they did. I wasn’t sure if the lemon zest would do it too, but it did. So, I found the best method was as listed. I coated the popcorn in the plain white candy melts without mixing the lemon juice and zest into the candy melts. Then while the coating over the popcorn was still moist I added the lemon zest so it would stick well, then I let the coating dry a bit before adding the juice so it would kind of create a shell over the popcorn so the lemon juice wouldn’t make it soggy and stale, and just be absorbed into a few pieces of popcorn. Then lastly, I baked it to create a perfect crunch, and again to get rid of the of any stale-like popcorn.
The entire family loved this popcorn! I’m definitely going to be trying it in a lime version too. Enjoy!
Oh and I thought I better mention, I took these photos just before baking the popcorn (because I didn’t decide to bake it until after taking the pictures) so the finished product should look a bit more golden.
Irresistible White Chocolate Lemon Popcorn
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernals
- 12 oz . white candy melts (such as Wilton)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pop popcorn in a popcorn popper, according to manufacturer's directions, into a very large bowl. Melt white candy melts in a microwave safe bowl, on 50% power, in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. Pour melted white candy melts over popcorn and toss with a rubber spatula until evenly coated. Sprinkle lemon zest over popcorn and toss until evenly distributed.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Allow coated popcorn to dry at room temperature, about 10-15 minutes, then drizzle lemon juice over popcorn and toss well to evenly coat. Spread popcorn onto a rimmed cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly golden. Allow popcorn to cool completely, store in an airtight container or large ziploc bag (note: this is best enjoyed the day it's made or one day following).
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy