Here’s a new, super healthy soup to add to your dinner rotation – this Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup! It brimming with nutritious ingredients and it will fill you right up. Plus it’s perfectly comforting for all these cold winter days. It’s been nearing 0 degrees outside (yes ZERO, it was 1 degree the other night) so the only dinner option around here lately is soup. Soup. Soup. And soup again. I think we’ve had soup 5 days in a row, either for lunch or dinner, but there aren’t any complaints around here about that. I think it’s a total lie when my thermostat says 72 degrees in the house, it sure doesn’t feel like it (although I can’t complain I’m super grateful for a heated home). The only way for me to get warm is to eat loads of soup, take a hot bubble bath (yes the bubbles are necessary :)) and then slip right into some extra warm socks and jams. It’s practically becoming a routine.
Honestly I was surprised that my kids ate this soup and actually enjoyed it. I was expecting “ewww whats all this green stuff” but they ate it right up. So it was a win all around and I’ll definitely be making it again and again! I’m even tried freezing some since I made two batches while testing recipes, so I’m going to have some pre-made healthy lunches to look forward to. And I love that it tastes so much like minestrone soup, I’ve always loved minestrone. Now do yourself a favor and make this perfectly satisfying Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup this week! If you can’t resist serve it up with some crusty sourdough baguette slices for dipping.
Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups dried brown lentils , rinsed and picked over
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini (1 medium)
- 2 cups packed chopped kale or spinach
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese , for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions and saute 2 minutes then add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer. Pour in vegetable broth and tomatoes. Add in lentils, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in zucchini and kale and simmer 10 minutes longer. Stir in lemon juice and add up to 1 cup of water to thin as needed (as the soup rests the lentils soak up more of the broth). Serve warm with parmesan cheese if desired.