Here’s a new, super healthy soup to add to your dinner rotation – this Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup! It brimming with nutritious ingredients and it will fill you right up. Plus it’s perfectly comforting for all these cold winter days. It’s been nearing 0 degrees outside (yes ZERO, it was 1 degree the other night) so the only dinner option around here lately is soup. Soup. Soup. And soup again. I think we’ve had soup 5 days in a row, either for lunch or dinner, but there aren’t any complaints around here about that. I think it’s a total lie when my thermostat says 72 degrees in the house, it sure doesn’t feel like it (although I can’t complain I’m super grateful for a heated home). The only way for me to get warm is to eat loads of soup, take a hot bubble bath (yes the bubbles are necessary :)) and then slip right into some extra warm socks and jams. It’s practically becoming a routine.
Honestly I was surprised that my kids ate this soup and actually enjoyed it. I was expecting “ewww whats all this green stuff” but they ate it right up. So it was a win all around and I’ll definitely be making it again and again! I’m even tried freezing some since I made two batches while testing recipes, so I’m going to have some pre-made healthy lunches to look forward to. And I love that it tastes so much like minestrone soup, I’ve always loved minestrone. Now do yourself a favor and make this perfectly satisfying Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup this week! If you can’t resist serve it up with some crusty sourdough baguette slices for dipping.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini (1 medium)
- 2 cups packed chopped kale or spinach
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions and saute 2 minutes then add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer. Pour in vegetable broth and tomatoes. Add in lentils, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in zucchini and kale and simmer 10 minutes longer. Stir in lemon juice and add up to 1 cup of water to thin as needed (as the soup rests the lentils soak up more of the broth). Serve warm with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Recipe source: inspired by Yummy Mummy Kitchen and my minestrone