If it’s lemon it’s all mine. So that must mean I get this entire batch of cookies to store away for myself. I used to hate pretty much anything lemon when I was younger but good thing tastes change as we get older and much wiser right? We grow up and realize spaghettios, boxed pop-tarts and playdough/superman ice cream aren’t everything we thought them to be (I’m still totally a sucker for bubblegum ice cream and applesauce with cream and cinnamon though, some childhood favorites will just never change). If I tried these as a kid though, they might have changed my mind about lemon!
Eat one of these cookies warm out of the oven and your life will basically change forever :). They melt in your mouth at that prime stage. I love the unique texture of these cookies, it’s a texture I haven’t really found in other cookies. They just seem to have a little bit of everything. The edges are lightly crisp while the centers are slightly fluffy and lightly cakey, yet they are still chewy and their softness is simply dreamy. Indeed it is the texture you’ll quickly fall in love with. And since I’m going to call these lemon cookies you’ll definitely find an abundance of lemon flavor. I just never could get enough of it! Which is why we could say I ate my fair share of these. With the fresh lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and a fair amount of lemon extract you’ll find in these cookies it ensures you’re not going to take a bite of this cookie without knowing right away what flavor they are.
It’s a good thing I can make these anytime or I would have a very hard time not hoarding them all away for myself. Just try them, you’ll see what I mean.
Ah just look at that crinkle. So much texture going on here.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy (occasionally scrape down bowl throughout entire mixing process if not using a paddle attachment that constantly scrapes bowl). Mix in egg then blend in egg yolk. Add lemon juice, lemon extract, vanilla extract and optional yellow food coloring and mix until combined. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour powdered sugar into a small bowl. Scoop dough out about 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time (25g each) and shape into a ball, then drop in powdered sugar and roll to evenly coat. Transfer to a parchment paper or Silpat lined baking sheet, repeat with remaining dough and space cookies 2-inches apart on baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven 10 - 13 minutes. Cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy