Grilled Cheese Part III – the Mediterranean Grilled Cheese, loaded with Mozzarella and Feta Cheese, fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives (you can use Kalamata if preferred), and just the right amount of red onion, fresh basil and garlic. This grilled cheese is amazingly good and deliciously Greek inspired. It’s a recipe you won’t want to let go of. Quick, simple, hearty, loaded with an exciting blend of flavors and full of cheese! Does it get much better than that :)? Enjoy!
Mediterranean Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices rustic white bread or sourdough bread
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 2 oz . Wisconsin Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 1 oz . Wisconsin Feta cheese , crumbled
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 Roma tomato slices
- 2 Tbsp diced black olives
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp finely minced garlic (about 1/3 clove)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a non-stick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add garlic and spinach and saute until spinach begins to wilt, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, stir in basil and set aside. To assemble sandwich, spread Mozzarella and Feta cheese over one slice of bread into an even layer. Layer tomatoes in a single layer over cheese. Spread spinach mixture over tomatoes then sprinkle olives and red onions over tomatoes. Season with freshly ground black pepper and top with remaining slice of bread.
- Spread 1 tsp olive oil evenly over skillet, add sandwich and heat over medium-low heat. Cook until bottom is golden brown, about 3 - 4 minutes, then remove sandwich from pan. Spread remaining 1 tsp olive oil evenly along skillet, carefully rotate sandwich to opposite side and return to pan over medium-low heat. Cover skillet with lid and cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy