These fancy, decadent, over-the-top brownies are also known as Grasshopper Brownies and Creme de Menthe Brownies, but I don’t like to refer to my food as the name of a bug :) and I also made these without any Creme de Menthe, plus mint is just easier to remember right? Whatever you call them though, trust me, you want to make these!
Yes everyone, I’m one of those people that has my Christmas tree up by Thanksgiving. Some people seem annoyed by that, but really who cares? Plus, I don’t buy a lot of Thanksgiving decorations and I’m too lazy to put decorations up for just a few weeks only to get them down and swap them out with different ones. But let’s not get crazy and leave our tree up until the end of January or even the beginning of February – that’s pushing it (and I still see that every year).
Having said that, I chose to put Christmas sprinkles on half of these brownies even though it’s the middle of November. The mint, and the green, and Christmas, it all just goes together so I had to do it. I will say though, these brownies definitely deserve sprinkles because they are some of the best brownies I’ve ever had! I want to eat them every day. The brownie itself is deliciously fudgy with just the right amount of chewiness, and then it’s covered with a creamy mint frosting that has just a hint of tang (thanks to the cream cheese) and it’s finished with a velvety smooth layer of semi-sweet chocolate (to help balance out the sweetness of the frosting). Brownie perfection is what I call these. Enjoy!
The brownies without sprinkles (pictured at the very top) and the ones with sprinkles are from the same batch – you’ll notice the ones without sprinkles cut cleaner. I let those rest in the fridge overnight then removed from the fridge and let them rest at room temp about 15 minutes before cutting (also cut side to side rather than down if you are looking for a cleaner cut).
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate chips - 60% cocoa (or chopped bittersweet chocolate. I recommend Ghirardelli)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, diced into tablespoons, plus more for baking dish
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 5 drops green food coloring, or more/less as desired (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 pinches salt, to taste
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, diced into tablespoons
- For the brownie:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with 2 sheets of aluminum foil (one going each direction) and leaving a two-inch overhang on all sides. Brush foil with melted butter (about 1/2 - 3/4 Tbsp), set aside.
- Add bittersweet chocolate chips and butter to a microwave safe bowl. Heat mixture on HIGH power in 15 second intervals, stirring well after each interval until melted and smooth. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl and using a rubber spatula (for entire mixing process), mix in granulated sugar and salt. Blend in eggs one a time, mixing just until combined after each addition and adding in vanilla with last egg. Sprinkle cocoa powder into an even layer over batter and fold in just until combined. Add half of the flour and fold several times then add remaining flour and fold just until combined (batter will be thick). Pour and spread mixture into an even layer in prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven 20 - 23 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mint Cream Filling:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Blend in mint extract and green food coloring if desired, then with mixer set on low speed slowly add in powdered sugar, add 1 - 2 pinches salt to taste, and mix until smooth and fluffy. Spread mixture over cooled brownies into an even layer. Transfer to refrigerator and chill 30 minutes.
- For the Chocolate Topping:
- To a microwave safe bowl, add semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter and heat mixture on HIGH power in 15 second intervals, stirring well after each interval until melted and smooth. Remove brownies from refrigerator and spread chocolate topping into an even layer over brownies. Return to refrigerator and chill 30 minutes longer, or until chocolate has set. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy