You would probably laugh but my most popular post that I’ve ever posted is this Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake, yes thank you Buzzfeed! It’s been a while since I’ve made a mug cake so I figured it was about time I posted another one. I just happened to have about 3 Tbsp of Nutella in my cupboard and what do you make when you only have a few tablespoons of Nutella left? Mug cake of course! When you are only down to a few last tablespoons of that precious stuff (until you can make a trip to the store to get more), you better put it to good use, right? That is just what I did with the last of mine and now I plan on buying another jar of it so I can make plenty more of these, because this is totally my new favorite mug cake! I mean, it’s loaded with Nutella so how could it not be?
Yes, I still struggle to make a mug cake look good, but at least I attempted to right :)? Let’s just say they taste much better than they look. Just make sure you use a large coffee mug, mine was a little too small and as you can see it spilled over the sides a bit. It’s not a big deal because I stopped the microwave before it could spill all the way over and that’s all I really care about – that I don’t have to clean up a mess in my microwave because that would kind of defeat the purpose of a mug cake, which is simplicity and less mess to clean up.
If you love Nutella and a super simple, irresistibly delicious dessert, be sure to try out this recipe. It’s sure to impress. It’s amazing what the microwave can do sometimes. Enjoy!
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Nutella
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- In a large coffee mug, whisk together milk, Nutella, applesauce, vegetable oil and egg until blended. Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and stir to combined. Heat mixture in microwave on HIGH power until cooked though, about 1 1/2 - 3 minutes. Serve warm, if desired top sweetened whipped cream or powdered sugar, and raspberries.
- Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Eclectic Recipes