We all have our favorite type of brownie. Some of us like them ooeey gooey, some of us like them chewy. Some like a more modern brownie that’s ultra rich and nearly bittersweet, and some of us like them sweet and mild – more of a milk chocolate brownie. Well, chewy milk chocolate brownie lovers, this post if for you (I still don’t quite understand the semi-sweet chocolate craze. I don’t like bittersweet, I like sweet. But who knows, maybe as I continue to age and my tastes change I will start to understand it more… or maybe I will always be more of a milk chocolate loving lady =)!
I like different brownies for different moods and cravings, but the majority of the time I like them chewy, not too gooey and not overpoweringly chocolaty. I think covering them with frosting is a nice splurge and a definite upgrade too.
I mentioned before I frequently visit a local bakery and I always get the same thing – their incredibly chewy brownie covered with chocolate cream cheese frosting. After far too many weekly (and sometimes biweekly) visits there, I finally decided I needed to recreate it at home. After several attempts I have finally done it! I’d say this recipe is an exact replica of that brownie that I adore. The first time I bought and tasted one, I remember thinking it was so different from other brownies, and they are. These brownies use a far less butter to flour ratio (than your average brownie), they have no baking chocolate in them just plain old cocoa powder, they use two types of sugar and they contain a little bit of milk. These will probably be the chewiest brownies you will ever eat! It’s like a big, thick, cookie texture like brownie (you could even call them brownie cookie bars).
I decided to call these Old Fashioned Brownies for a few reasons. First, this is what I picture my Grandma making. Second, the bakery that inspired these has an old fashioned feel to it. Lastly, I think the more modern trend of the brownie is dark chocolate, super rich and gooey and these are quite opposite of that, more classic and old fashioned.
I hope you love these brownies as much as I do!
Old Fashioned Ultra Chewy Brownies with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder*
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 recipe Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting , recipe follows
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5 oz cream cheese , softened
- 3 Tbsp butter , softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, mix together granulated sugar, light-brown sugar and melted butter until combine. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract and mix until blended. Add in half of the flour mixture and mix just until combine, add in milk and mix just until combine, then add remaining flour mixture and mix just until combine (batter will be very thick). Pour batter into a buttered 8x8 baking dish and spread into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven 40 - 45 minutes until center is nearly set. Allow to cool completely then frost with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting and cut into squares (the frosting is a must for this recipe). Store in an airtight container.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer on medium speed, whip together cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add in vanilla and powdered sugar, then sift in cocoa powder and mix until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy