This has got to be one of the easiest dinners I’ve ever made! Not only that but it’s healthy, completely delicious and everyone loved it, kids included! This is one of those recipes I know I’ll turn to time and time again because it’s so easy to prepare yet its so flavorful and it’s totally filling. You’ll love that it’s cooked all together in one pan because it’s faster to prepare and there’s less mess to clean up!
If you want this more burrito bowl style, you can definitely serve it with shredded monterrey jack or cheddar cheese, diced Roma tomatoes, diced jalapeños, diced avocados and sour cream. I served mine with avocados and loved it but it’s also amazing just as it is. I also want to try it with minute brown rice next time (then I’d just add 5 minutes to the resting period as listed on the package).
Healthy, hearty, totally easy, and full of vibrant, irresistible flavors, yes it will have you coming back for more!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped (keep lighter and darker portions separate)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 2 cups minute white rice (don't use regular rice!)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and saute until cooked through, about 6 minutes, adding in lighter portions of the green onions and garlic at last 1 minute of cooking. Stir in broth, green onion greens, green chilies, lime zest, lime juice, black beans and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, add rice, fully immerse rice in broth, and allow to boil 20 seconds, then remove from heat and immediately cover with a lid. Let rest 5 - 6 minutes.
- If needed, return pan to medium heat and cook and toss 1 minute to allow rice to absorb excess moisture. Remove from heat, toss in cilantro and let rest uncovered 3 minutes.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy