Looking for a quick and easy dinner that’s full of bright, fresh flavors and destined to satisfy? This amazingly delicious One-Pan Creamy Lemon Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus has got you covered! It’s perfectly filling and I love that it is basically a meal all in one with the carb, protein and veggie! Plus, it’s a dish that your whole family can agree on and you’ll be happy with the fact that you had two less pans to clean since a sauce isn’t made separately and the pasta isn’t boiled separately as well.
Asparagus and lemon go so well together, each perfectly complimenting the other so you can’t go wrong by adding the two to chicken and pasta – especially when you’re going to be adding in Neufchatel cheese and parmesan cheese! I couldn’t stop raving about the fact that this was so easy yet so flavorful and delicious. And of course I’m always a fan of a creamy pasta, especially when it doesn’t have 2 cups of heavy cream and a stick of butter. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love butter and cream but I generally save those extra calories for dessert, plus I’m not a big fan of heavy pastas. This one isn’t heavy and it even reheats well (unlike those fat heavy pastas that curdle up and separate into a greasy mess when reheated). Try it out soon, I hope you love it enough that is makes it to your dinner rotation!
One-Pan Creamy Lemon Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus
- 1 lb . boneless skinless chicken breasts , diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 10 oz . penne pasta
- 1 lb . thin stalks asparagus , tough ends trimmed, remaining diced into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 oz . Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese), diced into eight pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 minutes then rotate and cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a sheet of foil and wrap to keep warm, set aside.
- Melt butter in now empty skillet, add garlic and saute 20 seconds then and broth and water, while stirring to loosen any browned bites from bottom of pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil, then add pasta. Cover and allow to boil until fairly tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 - 9 minutes. Sprinkle asparagus over top (don't stir), cover and allow to boil 4 - 5 minutes longer until asparagus and pasta are tender (note that there should be some broth/water left even once it's finished cooking, this will be part of the sauce. If needed you can add more broth). Add in Neufchatel cheese, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir until melted. Stir in chicken. Remove from heat, cover and let rest a few minutes if desired to allow sauce to thicken slightly and soak into pasta. Sprinkle with parsley if desired, serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy