Easter is coming! We are serious breakfast people and are huge fans of an over-the-top breakfast or brunch (and it usually is more of a brunch for us because we aren’t early morning people). It’s the perfect start to a special day and I feel like it makes the day more memorable for my family. This Easter I want to add something new to my menu and I’ve always wanted to make the puff pastries baked with eggs and veggies, and then I came upon this recipe from McCormick and I knew it was the one!
Here we have some serious layers of deliciousness going on. It begins with a nicely crisp and flakey, buttery puff pastry then you top that with and egg and par-roasted veggies and bake it to a soft-set perfection. It’s a beautifully colorful, special occasion brunch entree that’s set to impress.
For this recipe I used my favorite McCormick Red Pepper Flakes. I’m shaking those things on everything! But honestly I use them a lot because my kids don’t like much heat on their dish (whatever it may be) so I just bring them to the table in sprinkle it all over my serving (think spaghetti, pizza, eggs, tacos etc). How I love a good kick to my food. Then another ingredient I used in this recipe, which is a go-to dry herb blend for me, is McCormick’s Italian Seasoning Blend. I love love love the flavor it gives the veggies here especially when paired with their roasted flavor and the parmesan cheese. And if you like garlic I’d suggest using a little McCormick Garlic Powder to sprinkle over the veggies. Totally delicious!
One thing I noticed when I made these is that the white does start to become opaque over the egg yolk near the end so just before it set I sort of peeled it back. It’s not a step listed in the recipe but for me I’m not only about the flavor of the recipe but also about the look so there’s a little tip you may find useful. And when in doubt add more cheese :). You can never go wrong with extra cheese (and I actually put the mozzarella under everything to let the colors shine). Now add them to your holiday menu and try them out for yourself!
Puff Pastry Baked Eggs
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry , thawed (1/2 of 17.3 ounce package)
- 1 small yellow onion , chopped
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup asparagus pieces , (1-inch pieces)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp McCormick® Perfect Pinch® Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp McCormick® Red Pepper , Crushed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place thawed pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Cut into 4 squares. Place squares on one side of large, shallow baking pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray. Prick top of pastry squares all over with fork. Set aside.
- Toss vegetables with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese and 1/4 tsp salt; toss again to coat well. Spread vegetables on other side of pan next to the pastry squares. Bake 10 minutes or until puff pastry is lightly browned. Remove pan from oven.
- Make an indentation with back of large spoon in center of each pastry square. Place vegetables evenly around indentations, making sure to cover edges of pastry squares. Sprinkle squares with mozzarella cheese. Break an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and salt.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until eggs are softly set.
- Recipe source: recipe from McCormick