My obsession with sugar cookies continues. This time around we’ve got an autumn inspired sugar cookie that is completely irresistible! These are soft along with just the right amount of slight chewiness to them. The have just enough pumpkin and the cinnamon cream cheese frosting just takes them over the top. You need try these at least once…and then you’ll want to make them forever after.
I love pumpkin everything so its really due time that I have a pumpkin sugar cookie recipe. I know my family completely agrees. They got to test one from each of the 4 test batches this past weekend. Far too many cookies around here, but we aren’t complaining.
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/3 cup unflavored vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz cream cheese , softened
- 3 Tbsp butter , softened
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg yolks one at a time. Mix in pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Scoop dough out and shape into 3 Tbsp balls (I just filled 1/4 cup 3/4 full). Place on Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets (you'll only be able to fit about 8 per sheet, these are fairly large cookies), and using your fingers lying flat, evenly flatten cookies into rounds until they are slightly under 1/2-inch thick. Bake in preheated oven 11 - 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool frost with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. Store in an airtight container.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy. Mix in cinnamon, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix in enough milk to reach desired consistency and mix until smooth and slightly fluffy.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy