Everyone, I am becoming the healthiest eater ever! Ha yeah right =)! I ate these incredible Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Tacos for dinner then I ate a big brownie with cream cheese frosting right after. I will never be able to omit the sweets from my life. It’s also highly unlikely that I will ever be able to do with out the comfort food classics like pizza and lasagna. With that said though, I do try and have a balanced diet and eat healthy for the most part.
My Mom went to visit my brother in Arizona and she had mentioned to me how my sister-in-laws mother made the most incredible vegetarian tacos while she was there. Once she said vegetarian she kind of lost me, but seriously she couldn’t stop talking about them and how amazing they were and she got my attention again when she said they had quinoa in them and she thought they tasted just as good as any other taco filling. I decided they were at least worth a try, so I made these for dinner for my family and you wouldn’t believe how good they are! I was shocked myself. I love meat filled tacos but I really thought these were just as good as a ground beef taco, and the even more surprising part is that so did my kids and my husband! My highly carnivorous husband who would basically cringe at the thought of being vegetarian loved these tacos. It’s genius how the flavors of the nutty quinoa along with the black beans and corn can blend to create something equally as good as meat.
I made a few changes to the recipe. I increased the amount of quinoa and corn from the original recipe, I used diced tomatoes with green chilis (instead of just plain diced tomatoes), I decreased the amount of liquid and added chili powder, paprika and coriander because I love spices and more flavor. These will frequently be replacing those ground beef tacos we have for weeknight dinners. I’m sure they are so much healthier and also less fatty than those. I love how much the recipe makes too, it made plenty enough for me to have some for lunch the next day as a light lunch on lettuce with avocados and cottage cheese. It’s an amazing taco filling. Try it! And enjoy! Thanks Natalie for the recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- corn or wheat tortillas
- chopped lettuce
- Monterey Jack, cheddar or cottage cheese
- diced avocados
- diced tomatoes
- hot sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute until golden and tender, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, cooked quinoa, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, coriander and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover saucepan with lid and simmer about 20 minutes, until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in corn and black beans and simmer, uncovered 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in lime juice and cilantro. Serve warm over tortillas with desired toppings.
- Recipe Source: recipe adapted slightly from a ward cookbook, recipe submitted by Kelli Price