Is there a soup that says summer like a fresh tomato basil soup does? I’ve always loved tomato soup, anything but the canned kind though. This time around I roasted the tomatoes, onions and garlic to give the soup more depth of flavor and it really made the soup over-the-top delicious! This soup requires minimal ingredients but yields such amazing results! When you combine several pounds of fresh tomatoes, several cups of fresh basil and a fair amount of garlic you know it’s got to be good. This is the perfect use for the abundance of tomatoes you have in your garden or those you’ll find at the farmers market.
If you want to keep it extra healthy you can just serve the soup sans grilled cheese croutons but if you want to go all out, definitely make them! They really just make the soup that much better. Yes just picture it, a perfectly toasted, golden, crisp crusted, gooey, melty grilled cheese crouton soaking in a perfectly fresh roasted tomato basil soup. It’s heavenly and you need to try it! Summer produce was made for things like so.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 1/4 lbs Roma tomatoes , halved lengthwise
- 1 1/4 lbs Cherry tomatoes
- 4 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic , peeled and left whole
- 2 small yellow onions , sliced just under 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups (32g) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 - 5 cups vegetable broth
- Grilled cheese croutons (optional), see notes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 3 Tbsp olive oil then season with salt and pepper (place Roma halves cut side upright). Place onion slices and garlic on a rimmed half sheet and toss brush with remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil on all sides, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place baking sheet with tomatoes and half sheet with onions in oven side by side and roast onions 30 - 35 minutes until edges are golden, and tomatoes 40 - 45 minutes until golden. Peel away any burnt papery layers of onions if there are any. Pull peels from tomatoes (I didn't do this with mine but later wished I would have so I'd recommend it so the soup isn't loaded with peels. If you want some peel then I'd peel at least half). Pour onions and tomatoes into a large pot. Add 4 cups vegetable broth and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, adding an additional 1 cup vegetable broth to thin as desired. Blend soup with an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender (only fill blender half full). Serve warm topped with grilled cheese croutons if desired.
- Recipe source: inspired by Tyler Florence