Please, no more frozen taquitos =). I love these taquitos! Perfectly crisp on the outside with flavorful tender beef on the inside. Yum! I like to have several dipping options when I make them, the three I always serve these with are guacamole, sour cream and fresh salsa but I also love these dipped in cilantro lime ranch (you can fallow the links below for the fresh salsa recipe and cilantro lime ranch recipe). When I make guacamole I keep it simple, I don’t like the chunks of onion in it so I always use powder. I mash two ripe avocados with the juice of 1/2 a lime then add in 1/4 tsp onion powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder then I season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, voila so simple. If you like Mexican food you will love these taquitos! Also, if you are looking to get two dinners worth out of the beef (like I do by making tacos one night then taquitos the next) you could always buy a 4 pound roast and double the remaining ingredients (I still only use one can beef broth though).
Shredded Beef Taquitos
- 1 recipe Shredded Beef Tacos (beef portion only)
- 15 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Serve with optional
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro lime ranch
- Cook shredded beef according to directions. Drain beef well, set aside. Heat a non-stick griddle over medium high heat. Cook tortillas for about 15 - 30 seconds on each side until soft and flimsy (can't think of a better word =). Immediately remove tortillas to a plate in a stack and cover with a saucepan lid large enough to cover diameter of tortillas (this seals in moisture and helps them roll well without cracking). Repeat this step until all the tortillas have been cooked.
- Fill a non-stick sauce pan with mixture of a few tablespoons vegetable oil and a few tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, it should be a layer of oil about 1/2 inch high (this is where the extra virgin olive oil is optional, you can use all vegetable oil, I just prefer both for flavor and health benefits). Heat oil over medium heat.
- Remove one tortilla at a time, place about 1/4 cup shredded beef on tortilla in a line down the center of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla snugly then insert a toothpick through the center so ends of tortillas stay in place. Using metal tongs, gently place taquitos into hot oil (I usually fit 4 - 5 taquitos in at a time). Cook until lightly browned then remove toothpick, and using tongs, rotate taquito and cook opposite side until lightly browned. Using tongs, remove from oil to a paper towel covered plate. Add additional oil to pan as needed while cooking taquitos. Serve warm with salsa, sour cream, guacamole or cilantro lime ranch for dipping.