I loved the last Grilled Shrimp Boil Packets I recently shared so much that here I am sharing another shrimp packet just a few days later! Plus, it is officially summer after all so we should be grilling everything! Meaning I need to start making more desserts on the grill, it’s actually rare that I do but that needs to change. Random thought there but dessert is always on my mind.
These Shrimp and Couscous Foil Packets with Avocado-Mango Salsa are unbelievably delicious! They are so flavorful and the simple, fresh Avocado-Mango Salsa just takes them over the top! This is such an easy recipe and you’ll be completely satisfied with the end results! If you’d like to add some heat to this recipe you can definitely toss a diced jalapeño into the salsa but I figured the last shrimp packet recipe I shared was on the spicy side so I decided to keep this one mild. If we went according to my taste buds everything would be spicy :).
Another thing I love about these is how quickly they cook (or in this case grill. Although I’m sure you could just as well bake these – same temp and time). It works perfectly to preheat the grill while you prepare everything then by the time you’ve assembled them the grill should be up to heat and dinner can be ready in 30 minutes or less! And you’ll be savoring each and ever bite! It’s such a wonderful flavor combination here with the avocado-mango salsa and the cilantro-lime shrimp! And the couscous and spinach rounds it out – while the couscous makes it more hearty and filling and the spinach adds a veggie to the mix (to pair with all that fruit – yes it’s weird that avocados and tomatoes are consider fruit), so you’ve got a meal all in one simple foil packet dinner. Done and done. Winnah winnah shrimp fa dinnah!
Shrimp and Couscous Foil Packets with Avocado-Mango Salsa
- Olive or vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 oz spinach (about 8 cups), roughly chopped
- 1 1/3 cups couscous (not pearl couscous)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs large shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice , divided
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro , divided
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 large mango , peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado , peeled and diced
- 1 medium vine ripe tomato or two small Roma tomatoes , diced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion , rinsed under water and drained
- Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat to about 450 degrees. Cut 8 sheets of 14 by 12-inch heavy duty aluminum foil. Layer two sheets of foil per packet, with each sheet of foil going opposite directions for each (so you should have 4 packets total). Spray center of top 4 pieces of foil with vegetable oil spray. Layer spinach over each packet. In a bowl toss together couscous and broth and season lightly with salt, divide couscous among each packet placing it over spinach. Toss shrimp with 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice, 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic, cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide shrimp among packets layering over couscous. Wrap foil and crimp edges to seal then grill sealed side up until shrimp and couscous have cooked through, about 12 - 14 minutes. Meanwhile prepare salsa - in a medium mixing bowl toss together mango, avocado, tomato, red onion, remaining 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove packets from grill, carefully open and toss contents if desired. Serve warm with Avocado-Mango Salsa.
- Recipe source: loosely adapted from Self Magazine