So I’m totally late to this party, where have 7 Layer (or in this case 6 layer) Magic Bars been all my life? I’d thought I’d tried pretty much every classic dessert out there but apparently not. I stumbled upon this kind of dessert bar on Pinterest coming from Nestle, they’d just called them a different name than every other website but they’re all basically the same with minor differences in which type of chips are used. Some recipes use just chocolate chips, others include white chocolate and butterscotch chips. For me personally I’m all about chocolate so that’s what I went with here and I used two different kinds. I made these twice because the first time I didn’t like how the graham cracker layer was so incredibly thin that it almost didn’t even cover the bottom of the pan so the second time around I added another 1/3 of the mixture. I also prefer the sweetened condensed milk poured over the top as it seems to hold it all together better (rather than pouring it over the graham layer then adding the remaining toppings after).
I love that these don’t even require a mixer. Everything is literally just added to a baking pan and the only thing that even requires a little mixing is the graham cracker and butter – other than that everything else is just sprinkled or poured one layer after another. And if you buy the boxed graham cracker crumbs you won’t even need to crush up the sheets of it first. This is one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make (and you’ll love that they only require 6 baking pantry staples). And don’t even get me started on how incredibly delicious these are, talk about dangerously addictive! If you haven’t tried these make them today, they are 6 layers of purely irresistible decadence!
Six Layer Magic Bars (only 6 ingredients!)
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 2 cups (228g) crushed graham crackers (about 15 full sheets)
- 2 cups (340g) chocolate chips (I prefer 1 cup semi-sweet 1 cup milk chocolate)
- 1 cup (86g) shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup (100g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (not low-fat or fat free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, add to oven and allow to heat until melted (mine took a little over 2 minutes). Remove from oven, tilt pan side to side to allow butter to run about 1-inch up the sides of the pan, then add graham crackers and toss to evenly coat with melted butter. Firmly press mixture into an even layer in pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over graham cracker layer followed by coconut and pecans. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over top. Bake in preheated oven until lightly golden, about 25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack then cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
- Recipe source: adapted from Nestle