You can never have too many easy chicken recipes for a quick weeknight meal! The great thing about this Skillet Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce is that it’s simple enough for a weeknight meal yet it’s fancy enough to serve to guests on a weekend. It’s packed with bright and delicious Italian flavors that will leaving everyone craving it and requesting it be made again and again! The combination of flavors here – the sun dried tomatoes, garlic/shallot, cream, parmesan and basil is simply divine!
I love that this is cooked in a skillet on the stove top so you don’t need to wait for an oven or grill to preheat, and of course being the dishes hater that I am I love the fact that the chicken and sauce are made in one pan. This is perfect for serving with pasta as it makes plenty of extra sauce to serve over the top – with extra parmesan of course! And I’d recommend serving it with a side of steamed or roasted asparagus. Who says weeknight meals need to be boring? This is anything but! It’s a restaurant quality dish but no one needs to know how easy it is to make!
- 4 (6 oz) bonelss, skinless chicken breasts*
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped shallot or yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cups + 1 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoe halves packed in olive oil with herbs, finely chopped (this can be done in a food processor)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Pound chicken to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken (cover with a splatter screen if you have one) and cook about 4 - 5 minutes per side until center registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Transfer to a sheet of foil and wrap to keep warm, set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet. Add shallot and saute until nearly soft, about 3 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Pour in 1 1/3 cups chicken broth, while scraping bottom to release browned bits. In a small bowl whisk together remaining 1 Tbsp broth with cornstarch then pour into skillet. Stir in sun dried tomatoes, season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a light boil and allow to simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add in cream and parmesan, stirring until parmesan has melted. Remove from heat, add chicken to skillet, spoon sauce over chicken. Top with basil and serve immediately.
- *If you can't find smaller chicken breasts you can cut two larger ones in half through the thickness to create four smaller ones (and you shouldn't need to pound it even).
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy