You know how I love my skillet chicken recipes! I love how quick and easy they are yet if they’re done right the end result can be perfectly tender and perfectly flavorful. I’ve already shared Avocado Caprese Skillet Chicken, Creamy Chicken Piccata (which is basically a creamy lemon skillet chicken), Skillet Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, Skillet Chicken with Creamy Sundried Tomato Sauce, Skillet Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce, and I recently shared this Skillet Chicken with Creamy Spinach Artichoke Sauce. So yes, most of those consist of some sort of creamy sauce but this time around I skipped the “creamy” and went with a simple honey-lime sauce. You wouldn’t believe how flavorful this chicken is! It doesn’t require any marinating, it’s not even cooked in the sauce yet it is so vibrantly flavorful and you immediately notice that oh so delicious honey-lime flavor pairing.
Like most of my skillet chicken recipes I created this one to have a little extra sauce – the sauce here is perfect for serving with rice. Instead of just serving it with white or brown rice though I highly recommend serving it with coconut rice- which is what I did (something like this recipe here, although sugar isn’t needed). I’m still trying to figure out which veggie I’d like best with this – for the first time in a long while I actually didn’t serve a veggie with our dinner because I was in a hurry.
This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights and I hope you and your family love this as much as my family did! It may even become a regular to your dinner rotation!
Skillet Honey-Lime Chicken
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- Sliced green onions , for serving
- Cooked coconut rice , for serving (optional)
- Pour about 1 Tbsp of chicken broth into a small mixing bowl. Whisk in cornstarch. Pour in remaining chicken broth, lime zest, lime juice, honey and soy sauce. Whisk to blend, set aside.
- Pound thicker parts of chicken breasts to even thickness on using the flat side of a meat mallet. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken about 5 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Melt butter in same skillet used to cook chicken over medium heat. Saute garlic until golden and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk lime juice mixture once more then pour into skillet and cook and stir until mixture has thickened and reduced slightly, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to skillet, spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with green onions an serve warm with coconut rice if desired.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy