Move over baked lasagna, skillet lasagna is about to take your place. It is quicker, it’s easier, there is less clean up, and it tastes equally as good as its baked counterpart. Yes, I think I am converted, especially when it comes to simple weeknight meals. I think it will be hard for me to find the desire and take the time to layer a lasagna and wait for it to bake now that I’ve tried this simple skillet version that is done in about half the time.
This tasty lasagna was made featuring two authentic recipe staples, KRAFT Parmesan Cheese and HUNT’S® Diced Tomatoes. These two delicious ingredients cut preparation time without cutting out that authentic Italian flavor.
This lasagna may not be quite as pretty and perfectly layered, but trust me it tastes just as good as the oven baked version!
I love the fact that HUNT’S® 100% Natural Diced Tomatoes are peeled using FlashSteam™ and no harsh chemicals. It leaves them with their vibrant fresh flavor and it leaves me feeling confident that I don’t have to worry about chemicals. I also love knowing that KRAFT Grated Parmesan is made using 100% parmesan in their cheese. I was raised eating it all the time in so many different dishes. My mom used it at least once, if not twice per week. From spaghetti, to soups, to casseroles, it frequently made it’s way to dinner. It always brought that special something to our meal, and now I’m using it in mine to give dinner that same special something. What would Italian food be without Parmesan cheese? Not to mention it is so convenient having it pre-grated for me, which means less prep for me and two less dishes to clean, right?
If you are looking for a simple weeknight meal that packs plenty of authentic Italian flavor, then look no further. This fantastic recipe has got you covered. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (scant 1 Tbsp)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans HUNT'S Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can HUNT'S Tomato Sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 dry lasagna noodles, each noodle broken crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded KRAFT Natural Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large and deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, crumble in beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally and breaking up beef. Drain fat from beef and pour beef onto a plate, set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet, once hot and add onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing. Pour in HUNT's Petite Diced Tomatoes, HUNT'S Tomato Sauce and water. Stir in 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, the basil, oregano, sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring just to a gentle boil then add lasagna pieces and cooked beef, stir and submerge noodles in liquid, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover skillet with lid and allow to cook until noodles are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together KRAFT Mozzarella Cheese, KRAFT Parmesan Cheese and ricotta until evenly combined. Once noodles are tender, shape half of the cheese mixture into about 1 1/2 Tbsp portions and add to lasagna, and gently stir to submerged under pasta. Crumble remaining half of the cheese mixture into small pieces over top, cover with lid and allow to cook over low heat, about 5 minutes longer until cheese has melted. Garnish top with remaining 1 Tbsp parsley and serve warm.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
I am working in partnership with the KRAFT brand and I am receiving compensation for my participation in this campaign. All thoughts/opinions are 100% my own.